Netherlands Cycle Trip Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ghostdancing

We are hoping to organise a cycle trip in the Netherlands. Seen some organised websites but it all seems very pricey just to bed down for the night along the route.

How can you go about organising your own route and finding overnight stays. Would just be my son and I. Easy to drive over, but where would you store the car while away?

Hi & Welcome! :smile:
There's no shortage of information on touring in NL. Try using the search function as a first step.

Routes are easy once you know where you want to go. What are you interested in? What do you want to see & visit? Once you know where you want to go there are planning options like cycle.travel or look at the knoopunt network.
For accommodation do you want hotel/B&B type or camping? No shortage of campsites over here. If the former any app like Booking.com is your friend.
As for the car? Why bring it? I assume you have bikes already? Bring them on the ferry. Car parking over here is not cheap!

jay clock

Massive member
+1 for leave the car at home. Will cost a lot just to get it there and park. If there is some reason why you have to take it, use warmshowers.com to find a friendly person who can let you park

also www.crazyguyonabike.com for all things cycle touring

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We are hoping to organise a cycle trip in the Netherlands. Seen some organised websites but it all seems very pricey just to bed down for the night along the route.

How can you go about organising your own route and finding overnight stays. Would just be my son and I. Easy to drive over, but where would you store the car while away?
Air B&B.Nice and easy to book. There are plenty of routes online.

Julia9054

Guru
I use Airbnb. Have done for years - have had the occasional strange one but never a bad one. Ports have long stay parking the same as airports do. We are leaving our car in the Dover one for our 6 day touring in Belgium in about 6 weeks and it is costing about £35. For cheaper options there are rent a driveway organisations if you google.

jay clock

Massive member
+1 for Airbnb. and great service too. In France last year I booked a place that turned out to be flaky (she emailed to offer me a different room with no bathroom). When I complained to AirBnB they called me within minutes, refunded and gave me about a tenner in compensation.

Brains

Legendary Member
Harwich: By previous arrangement we left our van at the Scout Hut for 2 weeks. I think we paid £20
One of the Scout leaders is a customs officer so knew who we were when we arrived back

Top Bottom