Never ceases to amaze me, the stupidity of some people

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My daughter recently mentioned that for the second consecutive day she'd been slumped on the tube after a 12 hour on-feet-and-constantly-busy shift when an elderly woman got on...after waiting a few seconds in the vain hope that someone would do the decent thing, she'd sighed and surrendered her seat. Don't think I've ever been prouder.

I guess it's the nature of big city living. My elder son has an obvious disability and people will always give up a seat for him on the local trains around here. Nobody has ever given up their seat for him on the London Underground

At home we have a "father jack"type of chair at the front window, if I'm sat there for an hour and the weather is ok I'll see numerous kids walking along with their phone out front on some sort of social media pouting away(obviously girls) but sometimes lads being lads.....there's a lamp post, I see at least one of them walk into it.....every time I sit there. Around the Uni where I work they're lemmings head down looking at the phone crossing roads.
Video or it never happened.

Boo

Über Member
As someone who's commuted into central London for 30 years, this is very familiar. I have a theory (no idea whether it's right or not) which is this:

Most decent people, when on a busy tube, will give up their seat for someone in need, if they're on a day out. However, when you make this journey hundreds of times a year, you come to realise that there will almost always be someone who needs to sit down, and if you're always the first one to your feet to say 'Would you like to sit down?', then you're destined to spend decades of your life travelling standing up. When you pay thousands of pounds for a season ticket, that really starts to grate.

Before anyone suggests it, I did bike in to work for a while, many years ago, but when I ended up in A&E one night I decided to stick to public transport and save the cycling for less dangerous terrain.

So I think that commuting has turned into a bit of a game of chicken. There will usually be a few people willing to give up their seat for a deserving cause* but they rather someone else did it, so they leave it as long as poss.

*Whole other discussion.

Elderly people, definitely.
Disabled people, definitely.
Pregnant women... (prepare to judge me harshly). I will give them a seat, but I'm usually thinking 'You chose to get pregnant, so why should I be inconvenienced by your lifestyle choice which, by the way, is contributing to global overpopulation which is the biggest problem facing mankind?'

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
*Whole other discussion.

Elderly people, definitely.
Disabled people, definitely.
Pregnant women... (prepare to judge me harshly). I will give them a seat, but I'm usually thinking 'You chose to get pregnant, so why should I be inconvenienced by your lifestyle choice which, by the way, is contributing to global overpopulation which is the biggest problem facing mankind?'

Lets hope no one is judging your mums 'lifestyle' choice to have you.

I mean she created, and then magicked out of her own probably quite tired body, a whole new person who has been taking up train seats for thirty plus years, did you say??

Should have been thoroughly scolded for that lifestyle choice of hers imo.

Not alll pregnant women feel tired all the time, or endlessly feel the need to sit down.
Some of them are actively riding bikes until the day before they give birth.

But others struggle a little more with the whole process, and might appreciate some consideration for that fact.

There.. Harshly judged enough??

Or would you like a little more admonishment?? :angel:

At home we have a "father jack"type of chair at the front window, if I'm sat there for an hour and the weather is ok I'll see numerous kids walking along with their phone out front on some sort of social media pouting away(obviously girls) but sometimes lads being lads.....there's a lamp post, I see at least one of them walk into it.....every time I sit there. Around the Uni where I work they're lemmings head down looking at the phone crossing roads.

This is an age old problem.
Over forty years ago when walking to primary school, I was so enamoured of my new shoes that I walked into a lamp post, so hard, whilst admiring them, that I knocked myself out cold.

It didn't hurt my head so very much, but the shame took days to wear off.

And I'm not even certain that any one even saw :blush:

I think we are soon to encounter a phenomena known as 'smart phone neck' It's going to keep the chiropractors (and yoga teachers) busy for a few years yet.

Last edited:
I don't have this experience on the London Underground, nor do I on any of the trains I regularly catch; local commuter into Manchester and intercity to London

Everyone seems polite and allow folk to get off before getting on. I see plenty of instances of seats being given up for less able folk on my local trains. Not on the Underground though where it seems to be every man (and woman and child) for themselves regarding seating
Living in Devon doesn't give too much opportunity for UndergrounD travel, but on occasion, both my wife and I have been offered the 'elderly and infirm' seats...
:blink:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Living in Devon doesn't give too much opportunity for UndergrounD travel, but on occasion, both my wife and I have been offered the 'elderly and infirm' seats...
:blink:
You forgot to mention that you have just turned 25

Venod

Eh up
So the train stops & almost before the first guy has had time to move the people who are wanting to get on the train crowd around making it almost impossible to get off, I have no idea WTF they think they are going to go until we all get off.

We have the worst trains in the country on our line into Leeds old pacers and a mishmash of other cast offs, they are always full sometimes one car only, two car usually, three on a Sunday :wacko:

I don't understand the must get on train before people get off mentality, but Leeds station is terrible for it, perhaps the want to get away from Leeds, but in my opinion its a great city.

Venod

Eh up
Another solution.

download.jpg

Top Bottom