Never purchased any cycling clothing before...where do I start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zardoz

Greetings folks. I apologize if this subject has been beaten to death before.

I'm really excited about getting more serious about road riding but I'm feeling very overwhelmed with all of the different options and opinions on what to get and why. To boot I'm also in a weight loss phase and don't want to spend a fortune on gear that will be uncomfortably large in a couple of months. So where to start?

Padded shorts or briefs? Shorts or bibs? Jerseys? Shoes?

What does a guy actually need to get out and put miles on without having some really sore bits after a ride?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A decent waterproof jacket was my first priority. You can get away with wet legs, but rain running down your back is really bad for morale. I paid about £50 seven years ago. I'm on my fourth one now and it cost me £85 a couple of months ago.

hoopdriver

Guru
I second the motion on the waterproof or water repellant jacket. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about padded shorts or fancy jerseys etc. Acquire things as you go along and find what does and doesn't work for you, and what you like. No need to go all-in and spend a lot of money. Cycling can be very expensive, but it needn't be. Since you are just getting into it, focus on the enjoyment of being on your bike.

Some people will swear you need padded shorts. I never found that to be so and I have ridden many thousands, tens of thousands, of miles without them. Indeed I have only just finished a thirty mile ride this morning. You may find that you like or want to try padded shorts, but I wouldn't worry too much about buying them right off if you can't afford, or don't want to spend, the money.

I am rather old fashioned in my cycling tastes and ride with flat pedals - not clipless. I do a lot of touring and this allows me to wear any shoe, boot, flip-flop, sandal etc. I realise I am very much in the minority but when I am touring it also means that I don't need to pack any extra street shoes. And anyway, I just like flat pedals or ones with toe clips. You may well have a bike with clipless pedals - probably do - and so you would need shoes to suit your pedals.

Spending decent money to get a good breathable waterproof or water resistant jacket is a worthwhile investment. Riding in the rain can be quite pleasurable sometimes, but it never is if you are cold and wet. There are several types of "breathable" fabrics on the market and they sorta work, but be on the safe side and get a jacket with pit zips as they really do let air circulate. You will be surprised at how warm you can get cycling. The jacket I use most often is a water repellent, not waterproof, one (still with pit zips). It will keep me dry in moderate showers on my daily rides. For touring or long rides, when I could be all day in the saddle, I go with my breathable waterproof one.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've been there and my route was to pick up some padded shorts and a jersey, both via eBay. Given I was uncomfortable about riding with lycra shorts at the time due to being on the large side I had baggy shorts as well. Gloves are also useful.

Cost wasn't an issue to me as I had to keep buying different ones whilst losing weight - I went from XL, to L, to M and then to Small which I am now. As a result I had some basic outfits for a while.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
It's never ending: helmet, specs, base layer, warm weather top, cool weather top / jacket, head warmer, wet weather top / jacket, gloves, mitts, padded shorts, tights / slacks, shoes, overshoes. Then there is the stuff for your bike such as a lock, carrying bag, tyre levers, tube, puncture kit, pump, mudguards, lights, water bottle / cage, clipless pedals, etc, etc.

It can be expensive, especially if you need to get most of your gear all at once, and stuff wears out so it is an ongoing thing. If you can get the bulk of what you need reasonably cheaply at first, you can spend more on individual items when your original ones wear out as you go along.

Aldi quite often have cycling gear on sale for a short time, and you can get some cheap stuff there to keep you going. I did that and as they wore out, replaced items with better quality stuff. Sports Direct also have some stuff at relatively low prices. Cycling shops tend to be a bit more expensive, but the quality is usually better, and you can also get most things, reasonably priced from Amazon.

Edit: The list above might seem daunting or offputting, so I should add that you don't need to go and buy all that straightaway, decide what you need to make your cycling enjoyable and safe, then if you want build up your range of equipment. The list above is more or less what I have built up over about 4 years, having replaced some items a few times as well.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What does a guy actually need to get out and put miles on without having some really sore bits after a ride?
A comfortable bike! There's a guide on www.wheel-easy.org.uk on setting your bike up and things like saddle shape and pedal size/type are a bit more trial, error and personal preference.

In terms of clothes, I second the waterproof jacket idea. Someone (Evans cycles maybe?) was discounting their Louis Garneau showerproof jackets now we're in summer. Beyond that, buy layers that wick so you can move them between you and a large bar/frame/saddlebag as conditions change. Summer walking layers are usually fine on a bike as long as you don't mind ankle clips and make sure you get tops long enough to cope with leaning forwards, plus they're often cheaper than equivalent cycling ones. I think maybe arm warmers are the only cycling- specific item where I've seen no good alternative. Possibly overshoes too but you shouldn't need those in summer, I hope.

Good luck and enjoy!

hoopdriver

Guru
Yes, the things for your bike too - don't forget them. Good tip (above) on Aldi for inexpensive gear. Bike shops do tend to be more expensive than online retailers but if you are fortunate enough to have a decent bike shop in your area it can be worth the extra couple of quid to support them - on line retailers don't have decent mechanics you can go to for repairs or advice. Bike shops do.

hoopdriver

Guru
Good advice on getting layers that wick away moisture. Again, not necessarily expensive, but worthwhile

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I like the theory that after your bike is dialled in, keep a focus on the contact points of the bike: Comfy handlebars/tape/grip; comfy saddle; pedals that suit.

Then sort the clothing/shoes out if you need it. As said upthread, I have also cycled thousands of miles without cycle specific clothing. I wear it now because I am a fashion victim, I prefer not to have flapping cloth and prefer the aero approach as well as keeping stuff in the jersey pockets. I have found padded shorts/longs that really help for 100km+ rides and I don't get chilled or overheat using technical clothing. It is all easy to launder and it dries quickly. And there us a lot more decent, affordable kit available now.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never felt the need for special cycling gear so never bought any apart for a jersey which I never use. The only specific item I have is shoes with cleats. Buy ones you can walk in (recessed cleats). My Shimano shoes look like hiking shoes. You might find they get a bit sweaty but you could try replacing the foam insoles for leather ones.

You'll obviously need some waterproof stuff in a temperate climate.

Don't at this stage get too hooked up on cycling gear.

There are at this time of year some good buys on outdoor gear, and provided it is not excessively baggy, an outdoor jacket may save you money to spend elsewhere

Top Bottom