Never too old to learn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did once fall off my turbo trainer.
I did too!

I hadn't allowed for the fact that the bike on a t.t. is a few cms further off the floor than it would be off a road... I went to step off and planted my foot in thin air! Fortunately, the t.t. was set up next to the end of my bed so I had a soft landing.

I have now placed wooden platforms either side of the t.t. to make it safer for me when mounting and dismounting.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did too!

I hadn't allowed for the fact that the bike on a t.t. is a few cms further off the floor than it would be off a road... I went to step off and planted my foot in thin air! Fortunately, the t.t. was set up next to the end of my bed so I had a soft landing.

I have now placed wooden platforms either side of the t.t. to make it safer for me when mounting and dismounting.
I was just getting on to it. I climbed on from the "wrong" (for me) side and, due to my extreme clumsiness, immediately fell off the other side, through the open door and on to the patio. I wasn't wearing a helmet.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Obviously no one wears a helmet, but I hope no one wears lycra kit on a turbo trainer.
Well... :whistle:

I only use the turbo in the winter and that room is pretty cold. I start off wearing a cycling jersey under a jumper. Once warmed up, I discard the jumper. Once really warmed up, I discard the jersey too. When I get going properly I need to switch a fan on, and when I am getting stuck in I switch the fan to full power.

I do wear lycra shorts on the turbo. It wouldn't be pleasant/hygienic to ride bottomless!

Which reminds me... It is time to get the turbo set up for the coming winter - this cold snap is putting me off doing long rides outdoors!

pbkclements

Think we do become older & wiser, otherwise, what's the point ? - Couple of things things this year with me give me hope.

Age 59 - March this year came home after longish cycle in the wet on my brompton - hit one of those little crevices in the road where patching the road has been a bit rough & hazard for small wheels - fortunately, once caught, I knew I was coming off & thedirection of fall - managed to kind of roll so the wrist did not get broken & only problem was a light knock on the hip. After the event I was chuffed. The younger me wouldn't have fallen off a bit & know that pain to be avoided at all costs !

Then earlier this week coming up to a junction in the dark & I'm crossed by a driver overtaking at 70+ about 2 feet away from my front wheel - the younger me would have been a bit keener to cross the road.

Point being, don't ride your luck, learn from experience & don't push it !

yello

I set up a bike on my turbo trainer only yesterday. It's years since I've used it since I prefer to be out on the road, but needs must. Oddly, the thought of whether I'd wear 'the gear' did cross my mind but I opted not to. Well, except for the shoes of course. I found it difficult to get my leg over, so to speak but it was incredibly easy to track stand.

Top Bottom