"never use the max. PSI pressure from the sidewall"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Snake bite punctures are because the tyre is that soft,that the innertube is squashed against the wheel rim arnt they?

yenrod

For those who remember - I used to use michelin pro 19's on omega v's at 130 front - 150rear psi..

Sh*t hot...

Ive always worked off this theory: harder tyre less chance of puncture.

Comfort factor re: hard tyre = saddle.

Running at or above the recommended pressure reduces rolling resistance, minimises side wall wear caused by excessive flexing and reduces the chances of suffering pinch flats but I'm not aware of any evidence which shows a reduction in the number of punctures. Above a certain pressure rolling resistance actually increases so 150psi and over is counter-productive and as far as absolute maximum pressure is concerned, the rim will fail before the tyre does.

Anyone remember 'flint catchers'? They were like little off-cut pieces of metal coat-hanger which were adjusted to just skim the tyre tread. The theory being that a shard or thorn requires a good few rotations of the wheel to work its way into the tyre. The flint catcher swept the tyre, preventing the little bastards from penetrating. I wonder why they went out of fashion. Knobbly tyres I expect.

Tynan

Veteran
I've got my tyres at 100/120 and I notice the way chippings and stones shoot sideways like bullets

and yes they hit cars sometime

not my fault

It convinces me that the tyre to some degree resists outside forces

Top Bottom