New 105 chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last I looked the Gossamer chainset used on the Boardman Team was PF30
You are right. The Gossamer is BB30, I am confusing it with the MegaExo. Forgive me, the two names are so similar....
To the OP: In order to retrofit a 24mm crank to a BB30 frame, you will need to glue in a special insert into the BB shell so that you can fit a standard BSA crew-in hollowtech BB from Shimano (or FSA). It can be done and it does improve the bike in that you will have more durable BB than BB30 and less creaks than with BB30 Press Fit.\

However, I think I've just made a significant contribution to your pension fund. Go for a ride.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The early versions of the Boardman Team Carbon ran SRAM Rival with a GXP bottom bracket. It's the current one that runs Shimano with PF30.

Mr Celine

Discordian
There is a cautionary note though, if you are swapping out triple chainring cranks, make sure the tooth count on all the chainrings are the same. The Shimano FD is very fussy that way and won't tolerate a mix-and-match approach to sprocket sizing.

I never had any bother changing a Shimano front mech from 52-42-30 to 50-39-30 and then to 50-39-28. Before buying the 28t granny ring I tried it with an old Suntour ovaltech 28t ring and it worked fine with that too.

No you won't. Both crank spindles are 24mm in dia. There is a cautionary note though, if you are swapping out triple chainring cranks, make sure the tooth count on all the chainrings are the same. The Shimano 11-speed FD is very fussy that way and won't tolerate a mix-and-match approach to sprocket sizing.

However, the upgrade is a waste of money and you will only fool yourself that the one is better than the other. Put the money in your pension fund.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm thinking of upgrading my chainset to Shimano 105 on my Boardman carbon road bike. It currently has an fsa gossamer. Would I also need to buy a new bottom bracket? If so which one would be best?

Thanks for any help

How is that an upgrade? Are you just buying it to match the rest of the kit on the bike?

FSA make decent kit and at the end of the day we're talking about a couple of crank arms ie two lumps of alloy and some chainrings. How is changing them going to make one iota of difference to your cycling?

adamhearn

Veteran
Unless you have a crank issue it's easier/cheaper to just grab some [Shimano] chain rings and fit them to the existing crank. Check the BCD required to get the correct rings.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Well against everyones advice, I have ordered a new one to match the rest of the kit on my bike. Hopefully get it fitted over the next couple of weeks.
Got abit carried away and have also ordered a new helmet, pedals & shoes!

All 3 of my Wilier bikes have come with FSA chainsets and GXP bottom brackets and I have used shimano cranks in all of them. FSA chain rings seem a bit flimsey to me, they never last as long and it is cheaper to buy a new chainset than buy shimano rings.

Top Bottom