New 25 miles to the ponderosa cafe....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there, I'm new to the forum so firstly hello. :sad:

I'm Jamie, I'm 17 stone :biggrin: and want to get fit :smile: , back to cycling after a nasty off nearly 9 months ago, been using the bike once a day for around a week now doing 8 ish miles.
I have done 8 miles urban riding in 34 mins, at a comfortable pace.
and 8 miles of hills and back lanes @ 49 mins, again at a comfortable pace.
This Sunday I plan to cycle to the Ponderosa Cafe in Llangothlen North wales, a distance of 25 miles (to the cafe,getting a lift back LOL)... the cafe is 1800ft above seal level, some nasty climbs ect, never done more than around 10 miles urban/semi steep hills before so not sure how I will get on when faced with bigger climbs and for longer distances, I know the distance is nothing to most of you guys but to me it's a long way so bear with me, maybe one day I will be a better rider.
This will be furthest journey via cycle bike, this will be no city type ride in the park, there is some BIG hills. (or so there seems?)
Any advice/ tips will be great, I'm on my dads old mountain bike with road tyres (no suspension), I have access to a road cycle bike but 1. I have never road one , 2. the seat post is to short for me, and 3. I think the gears on the mountain bike will be better for the hills ?

What psi for the tyres? after reading a website it says as much as 120 psi ..... :angry: I thought it would be around 30 odd?

There is around 10 miles of bigger hills, and 15 miles of mild slopes and flat ground btw.

Thanks for reading and any tips ect will be great help.
will get a picture of the bike tomorrow.

Keith Oates

Janner
First of all Jamie, welcome to the forum and I hope you'll enjoy posting here.

As for tyre pressures, 120 psi is for thin road tyres so not needed in your case for this ride. I would aim at about 50 psi if you have fairly big road tyres on your Dads bike but if you look on the wall of the tyres it will give you the range of pressures you should aim for.

The best tip I can think of is to not try and go too fast on the longer trip and always get to a low gear which makes you feel comfortable when climbing the hills. Also if it's getting too hard on the hills there is no shame in stopping and having a rest or even walking up some steep parts. Once you get more 'miles in your legs' you will soon find what you can and can't do but gradually it will get better and easier. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got-to-get-fit

hi Jamie ....welcome to the madness.

First off you are not alone, there are many of us in a similar situation and all of us have been in your shoes at one time or another - we all have to start somehwere.

Are you riding with a group? Your 30 odd mile to the cafe will be far easier than you imagine. if travelling 8 mile on your own then the 30 will be achievable in a group because you will give each other encouragement. The attraction of cakes and coffee in the cafe is another great motivator.

Im similar to you - i commute 24 mile a day, i recently joined a cycling club and went out on my first sunday ride of sixty mile having never done anything near that distance before. i managed it ....just.:angry: The thrill of doing it though is overpowering and being in a group just adds to the fun.

I would certainly stick to what you know (mountain bike) especially if the seat on the road bike is too short - this can only lead to pain and possible injury.:sad: However once you get a taste for distance cycling you will most certainly want a road bike. Thats when things start getting expensive!!
Tyre Pressure, as Keith said will be about 50psi tyre pressures of 0ver a hundred are for road bikes only.

The most important thing is to get out there and enjoy yourself. take plenty of water and sip it little and often to stay hydrated and also take a couple of bananas or a muesli bar to keep your energy levels up.:biggrin:

Good luck and welcome to the forum.:smile:

You know what? I reckon you could cycle there AND back. You might surprise yourself, 'specially with a big load of tea and cake to revive you. Let us know how you get on.

In terms of weight loss, I lost a stone this year without really trying, using the GI diet. Check it out.

Welcome too.

Thanks guys, :ohmy:
Great help, much appreciated.
As said, here is a picture of the bike :
The seat post isn't bent btw lol
Will the bike be up to it? Would a road bike be even lower geared than an old mtb ?
P5212564.jpg

Many thanks.

Cheers.

Also, got-to-get-fit, I will be going on my own.
I have a back pack water carrier thing, so was planning to fill that so I could drink on the move (although some one said to me this is bad for you and can make you sick ?), I will also have a Bar bag , with a few more drinks and some fruit pastels or something for if I really start to get tired.
Also want to fit a new cycle pc, always handy to keep an eye on the miles that I have covered, so I know how far is left to go.
Might re grease the pedals and crank before I go, clean the chain, lube the cables ect, much else that I should do ?
Many, many thanks.

Smeggers

Your positioning on that beast looks a bit odd, with the lay-back seat post and all? Although if its comfortable for you, who am I to judge! The gearing should be fine though - just keep those legs spinning without too much load.

I wouldnt bother with the back pack, you're back will get very sweaty and the bottle cage should be fine for a 750ml bottle with some energy drink in it. (little and often to prevent sickness).

I'm 55 miles from Llangollen its my ambition to do the same - so you're one step ahead of me!!!

Welcome to the mad-house btw!

Smeggers said:
Your positioning on that beast looks a bit odd, with the lay-back seat post and all? Although if its comfortable for you, who am I to judge! The gearing should be fine though - just keep those legs spinning without too much load.

I wouldnt bother with the back pack, you're back will get very sweaty and the bottle cage should be fine for a 750ml bottle with some energy drink in it. (little and often to prevent sickness).

I'm 55 miles from Llangollen its my ambition to do the same - so you're one step ahead of me!!!

Welcome to the mad-house btw!

Seems comfy enough, bars are just under arms length , with slightly bent elbows, legs are just slightly bent at the bottom of the stroke.

Where abouts are you ?
And you will know the hills I means then, coming from the mold side, thank god not from the llan side though.....:biggrin:

Need a new seat before going tho as that one is ripped and is to hard, thinking of getting a gel one , the ones that are like £15 odd.
Also want to repaint the bike , but that won't be before going on Sunday, thinking of red ,blue or all black :angry:

Big T

Guru
The Ponderosa is the cafe at the top of the Horseshoe Pass, isn't it? Are you going up the Horseshoe or "over the tops"? I remember riding there from Chester YH, years ago (can't remember the exact route) in filthy weather (started as rain, turned to snow).

I've also ridden up the Horseshoe in mid-summer whilst touring in Wales.

maurice

Not seen you on BCF for a while Jamie :biggrin:

Pump the tyres up the max recommended and you should be alright if you take your time.

If I was you I'd ask for a lift not from the cafe, but from Llangollen. Then you can finish by riding the massive downhill from the Cafe pretty much all the way to Llan. Should easily hit some motorcycle speeds.

Chris James

Über Member
Big T said:
The Ponderosa is the cafe at the top of the Horseshoe Pass, isn't it? Are you going up the Horseshoe or "over the tops"?

Yup, very popular with bikers too.

The OP is proposing going over Llandegla moors, not up the Horeshoe Pass.

maurice said:
Not seen you on BCF for a while Jamie ;)

Pump the tyres up the max recommended and you should be alright if you take your time.

If I was you I'd ask for a lift not from the cafe, but from Llangollen. Then you can finish by riding the massive downhill from the Cafe pretty much all the way to Llan. Should easily hit some motorcycle speeds.

Well hello there, :becool: good idea, didn't think of the big hill, will have to make sure the brakes are working 100% ..... could be a bit :blush::tongue::eek::eek: if not, max speed I have done so far (on the clock) is 32 mph, that was a tiny hill, sure I could hit 40 odd down that hill... :biggrin:
Been doing an 11 mile route every night for the past week, can't wait till sunday, really looking forward to it. :smile:

dodgy

The climb up to the Ponderosa across from Llandegla way isn't too bad, though I appreciate the OP is a novice. I ride up there fairly frequently from my home on the Wirral.
By the way, the summit of the Horseshoe Pass is very near the Ponderosa, but it's more like 1300 feet and not 1800.

Good luck, who cares about the bike, as long as it's roadworthy. You'll have the most contented feeling when you get home, no matter how knackered you are :blush:

Dave.

Top Bottom