New Addition..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Picking it up today.
Purchased for £21, Been wanting to try out a road bike without spending a huge amount for a while and a very late drunk bid got me landed with this :laugh: Apparently its a Raleigh, No idea what year or model but its definitely a Raleigh so he says. Pick it up at 1pm so detailed pics when i get it back, anyone any idea what it is?
:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:
$_57 (5).JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
mid to late 70's looking at the lamp bracket

OP
OP
redvision95

redvision95

No idea: what looks like a fresh powder coat and plastic bits would scare me. It might be OK but I'd be wanting to change lots, starting with levers and hoods.
As its my first dip into road bikes and I'm not sure how I'm even going to get on with the bars I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that might not work out for me, the worst case for me here would be id be out of pocket a whole £21. Mudguards will be changed for more suitable looking ones (have a set in the shed) The pump will be going too. Other than that Ill just adjust it to me and see how it goes. Dont want to invest much into it.

Looks just fine and dandy - particularly for 21 spuds! Looks to have a modernised drive train with a 28 tooth freewheel perhaps? I'd be inclined to change those brake levers too (not fond of suicide levers) but you might not have a problem with them. Whatever it is under that powdercoat (nice colour btw) you can't go far wrong for what you paid; I've paid more for lumps of scrap!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oh yeah, it's a fair punt at that price. If the tyres are usable, they're probably worth £21!

The bar and saddle positions are odd but I expect you spotted that. I dislike the brake levers for two reasons: suicide levers aren't great and they are difficult to put hood covers over so riding on the hoods can be uncomfortable.

OP
OP
redvision95

redvision95

Just been and picked it up, Rode it home as is and I have to say so far I'm happy with it.
Spoke to the owner and he bought the frame and forks, then put it together with bits off of old bikes he had to make himself a commuter. Its not a powder coat job but a decently done spray can job. Its just 5 speed. The tyres are OK and will last me a while. I've got some work to do but hopefully tonight ill be able to spend a hour or two adjusting everything to how I like it. I rode it home and to my surprise the suicide levers actually work properly. It has new brake pads and innertubes and the bottom bracket is 2 rides old :bicycle:
20160305_131248[1].jpg

OP
OP
redvision95

redvision95

Made some small adjustments but Forgot my spaner to move the saddle. Will go for a ride and do adjustments as I go to get it how I like it.
20160305_172723.jpg

Meeting the Hybrid it MIGHT replace for the first time...... :laugh:
20160305_172941.jpg

Got to scrape some paint off on the BB shell to get the serial number, Hopefully ill be able to find out exactly what it is by the number.
EDIT - have been told that it could be either a record ace or a Olympus ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom