New arrival: 1950 Raleigh Sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bought some time ago but finally collected today this is a vintage Raleigh Sports with 3-speed Sturmey Archer gears and what appears to be a front dynamo wheel.

Took it for an initial test ride and despite the weight it rides well. The wheels need a decent spoke tightening and truing plus new tyres. Also needs a new gear cable plus brake cables as the brakes only sort of work, together with the gear cable only working when pulled up.

Otherwise it's surprisingly good for 67 years old and almost 50 in storage. Some parts were added/changed before sale so it's not original but still usable.

20180625_194118-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• 20180625_194118.jpg
    20180625_194118.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@DCLane that looks great if it rides anything like my similar aged Raleigh then you are in for a treat

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Cleaning the Raleigh up I've found a serial number; 958996 P

That, I believe, makes it 1950, not 1951: http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html#47

Either way it's slowly being cleaned. The rust is off most of the spokes and the frame/mudguards have the gunk off them. I'm going to need to fit new bearings to the front Dynohub wheel and possibly new spokes to the rear as they're loose and welded in. The wheels will get a metal polish and then new tyres/tubes.

The front gear-change wouldn't work because a) the cable was frayed and b) the Sturmey Archer shifter was broken. New shifter and gear cable/outer inner plus connecting parts are now awaiting fitting.

The bottom lip of the front mudguard has lost a little of the edge - I'm left with either fitting a mudflap or re-building it. Re-building would mean re-painting the mudguard, which I'm loathe to do. 'Patina' is the theme here; I won't be going full re-paint and re-build.

All I need now is a vintage-style saddle to add to the frame.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Beware dismantling Sturmy dynohubs. Taking them apart without a 'keeper' to preserve the magnets leads to permanent loss of electrons.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Beware dismantling Sturmy dynohubs. Taking them apart without a 'keeper' to preserve the magnets leads to permanent loss of electrons.

Yep - aware of that, although I'm not sure yet whether it still works. I'll be following the guidance in this video very carefully:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SnEkpU0YeU

The front wheel's now cleaned and ready for new bearings, the frame's cleaned and new Sturmey Archer shifter fitted in the correct place. Now need the rear wheel sorting, gear cable, possibly brake cables and new tyres.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yep - aware of that, although I'm not sure yet whether it still works. I'll be following the guidance in this video very carefully:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SnEkpU0YeU

The front wheel's now cleaned and ready for new bearings, the frame's cleaned and new Sturmey Archer shifter fitted in the correct place. Now need the rear wheel sorting, gear cable, possibly brake cables and new tyres.

@DCLane is the fr hub 32 spoke ? if so got a couple of nice old Campagnolo 32 hole hubs

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Five spokes and a 32 x 597 rear tyre fitted today. Plus more cleaning of the frame. I've also fitted a Sturmey Archer gear cable which is waiting for the back wheel to be fitted. Also some new steel-wheel brake pads were fitted, with the outgoing ones being at least 40 years old. Front and rear mudflaps were added, along with an vintage hard plastic saddle I had. Oh, and a horn.

This evening I've been very, very carefully dismantling the dynohub. The result: fully cleaned and greased with new bearings AND working ^_^

The downside? It's not a 26 x 1 1/4 front wheel, it's a 26 x 1 3/8 dynohub front = a 37 x 590mm tyre needed rather than a 32 x 597. So an extra tyre's been ordered.

Still a new chain to fit, along with front tyre plus greasing the rear wheel. Then connecting everything. Once that's done I'll add some new photos.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sounds like it is coming together nicely

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That's a nice bike, shame you have to sell it. Hope someone gives it a good home.

No-one has to sell an old bike like this, it's just a question of which ones you prioritise owning in your fleet. The start price is cheap considering it's a good quality Raleigh and it's had some time & money spent sorting it out. Sadly, I have my doubts it will sell that well, as it's not a piece of garish modern plastic and fewer and fewer riders seem to appreciate proper bikes that were built to last.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Seeing this has reminded me that i have a very similar machine in the garage that hasn't seen tarmac in 2019

Time to get the cobwebs off and give it a spin then. I've been clocking up a few miles on my old Puch 3-speed roadster, and although very much a low end bike when new, it's still a good ride. The worst thing is Puch cut corners on their chrome plating, which doesn't hold up as well as something like a Raleigh or Hercules 3-speed. Ride quality from the gas pipe frame is still fine though.

Top Bottom