New arrival: Orbit 531 road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This afternoon I picked up a 531-framed Orbit from Sheffield, won yesterday via eBay for a nominal sum.

Good points; 531 frame/forks albeit needing a respray, a rear Mavic Module 4 wheel, drillium chainrings on a Stronglight crankset.

Bad points; the frame has more paint off than on, front wheel's a Vuelta Airline 2, basic other components.

DSCF6369.JPG

DSCF6371.JPG

DSCF6370.JPG

Plans?

Strip and see whether the frame can be re-sprayed first.

Drago

Legendary Member
Original paintwork? If so a powder rcoater could match that for half the cost of paint.

Watching with interest.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Having tried to get the seatpost out - without success and managing to snap two tie-down 5ton straps in the process - I've given up with this. Everything, and I do mean everything on it was seized.

The result is it's not a usable frame and I've salvaged the odd part from it.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Having tried to get the seatpost out - without success and managing to snap two tie-down 5ton straps in the process - I've given up with this. Everything, and I do mean everything on it was seized.

Shame, it had the potential to be a nice bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't be scrapping a nice 531 frame because it had some seized alloy parts stuck in it. If need be, I'd dissolve the things chemically if no other less drastic method would work.

Put it on the back burner for a while .
You could try making a reservoir out of a plastic bottle , putty or plasticine to seal the gaps and mix up some caustic soda to dissolve the corrosion between the seat post and tube .
I had one which wouldn't budge, but after a soaking it freed up .
Wear protective gloves and goggles though.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

True. I've done what I can and have simply left it onto someone else who's going to try as well with the view of turning into a fixie. Thanks all - it's a disappointment but these things happen.

I've ended up with a rear wheel, some shifters and the RH crank with drillium chainring. Everything else was seized or rusted solid.

D

Deleted member 1258

True. I've done what I can and have simply left it onto someone else who's going to try as well with the view of turning into a fixie. Thanks all - it's a disappointment but these things happen.

I've ended up with a rear wheel, some shifters and the RH crank with drillium chainring. Everything else was seized or rusted solid.

That's a shame, but we can't win them all.

Top Bottom