New arrival: Peugeot Tourmalet PE200 - wrong wheels, missing parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This Peugeot was advertised yesterday and I threw in a cheeky offer. Having picked it up it's a 1991 Peugeot Tourmalet PE200 with Shimano shifters/derailleur. The crankset (116bcd) is a French Stronglight 185 and the Omega R brakes are mostly there. No seatpost/saddle/bolt and the RH Leechi brake hood is missing. I knew it needed work! Seller's photo:

s-l1600.jpg

Bits needed / replacement:

- Both wheels with 7 speed freewheel. A cracked rear and 27 1/4 front were supplied. Plus tyres. Update: new wheels bought, have tyres, I found a 7-speed cassette in my stock.
- Leechi RH brake hood or preferably replace both - update: new Leechi brakes bought
- Chainrings. I think I've got some drillium ones that'll fit. Update: replacement crankset bought
- Maybe rear brake caliper
- Seatpost 25mm and seatpost bolt - update: bolt found in my 'bits' box and fitted, seatpost ordered.
- All inner/outer cables
- Bottom bracket - new bearings / new bracket but it's French thread
- Chain
- Bar tape. Celeste?
- Quite a number of paint chips

On the hunt for parts, but I'm in no hurry so this may be around for a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Progress, although no photos as I was sticky.

- Crank arms removed, they'll go on eBay with a replacement crankset bought.
- Cleaned the frame, got the brakes and derailleurs moving as they were seized from lack of use
- Old bottom bracket out, thoroughly cleaned and greased. It was in surprisingly good condition so went back in as I'd no square taper that fitted.
- Rear brake outer had seized in the frame and I got that moving ready for replacement.
- Other parts (wheels, brake levers, seatpost, paint) ordered. I'm using tyres I have along with a 7 speed cassette.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Lots more progress over the past couple of days:
  • Replacement 'Aero' crankset and, flat pedals fitted
  • Paint (metallic black) arrived and frame/forks touched up
  • New Leechi brake levers, which came with all the cables, fitted so they match the original 1991 specification
  • Inner/outer gear cables fitted
  • New Mach1 CFX wheelset fitted, 7 speed cassette and used Rubino green tyres: they were the only used tyres I had available
  • Chain fitted
Just waiting on the seatpost to arrive to fit the saddle. I might also drop the stem as it's high. And short me can't reach! Then bar tape last once I'm happy with everything and it's done. I toyed with the idea of getting some celeste bar tape to match the name/logos but I've loads of black bar tape in stock so that's going on instead:

DSCF6926.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom