New arrival: Raleigh Medale 1979

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A new arrival today: a Raleigh Medale from 1979. 5 speed on a 23" frame with 27" wheels.

DSCF4254_zpsliktzdhl.jpg

It's in decent condition although the mechanicals are very oily (which is good). There's a small patch of rust on the LH side but everything else appears intact and original. Raleigh groupset with cottered cranks and Weinmann 730 brakes. The pointy-up saddle's how it's arrived, which is a quilted leather type from Selle Royal! (now levelled). Tyres hold air but the wheels need truing. Everything works and moves as it should, if a little stiff.

Plans: erm ... none! It's been bought on a whim.

I'll clean it, fit some new tyres to replace the Halfords Tourist ones, a new chain, fresh bar tape and then decide what I do with it.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice. :becool:

midlife

Guru
Looks like it arrived directly from the past by TARDIS :biggrin:

Just out of curiosity is there a frame number?

Shaun

midlife

Guru
Anything stamped on the seat tube under the saddle? I'm just trying to place it in my memories of the late 70's :biggrin: ................ or what's left of them LOL

Shaun

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

1979 :smile: sorted in the memory now. I was at Uni and working in the holidays :biggrin:

Shaun

Thanks. Tyres and tubes en route and bar tape ordered.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

The tidy-up of the Raleigh Medale was completed today; it's had new Raleigh tyres and tubes, new bar tape and a general deep clean. Otherwise it's as was since there wasn't much else wrong:

DSCF4273_zpsvwxl6ed7.jpg

Now I've to decide what to do ... the likelihood is that it needs to be sold unfortunately :cry: so it may end up on the 'bay next week.

Top Bottom