New arrival: vintage Keith Lambert - bigger than advertised

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I picked up a part-complete Keith Lambert frame yesterday made from Columbus Aelle tubing, with Campag Record / Mavic Open4 tub wheels, Campag Mirage crankset, Tiagra 9 speed front derailleur and Shimano RSX brakes.

Described as a 22" frame I thought to myself "that looks big". It is - having measured the frame today it's actually 23 1/2" / 60cm frame.

Now I'm wondering whether it'll stay.

s-l1600.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice, that would fit me. Never heard of Keoth Lambert before. Any story there?

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Nice, that would fit me. Never heard of Keoth Lambert before. Any story there?

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=2787

and

http://www.seventy8.co.uk/keith_lambert_folder/lambert1.html

Ex-pro rider who sells decent frames. A colleague, who sadly died last year after being hit by a drug dealer, owned several of his hand-made bikes and wouldn't ride anything else.

The story behind this one is that it was the seller's own race bike who lives about 6 miles from the shop, hence the tubular Campag Record wheels, which he used in the 1980's and 1990's. Looks to be about 1989 but I'll get it dated by them.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
A short frame is one with short chain stays, reduces the wheelbase and makes handling sharper. Holdsworth reduced the wheelbase of their team bikes during the 70's to a point where the pros complained of poor handling in the bunch.

Short wheelbase beloved by 70's TT peeps like me who thought it would make them go faster lol

time-trials15.jpg

Shaun

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just, but only because there's no chain / rear derailleur at the moment.

Enlighten me please @raleighnut . What's a "short" frame? And what does that mean for the bike?
@midlife answered perfectly, my 653 TT frame is similar but has horizontal dropouts so with 25mm tyres the wheel won't come out with the tyre inflated, whether it would with 19mm tyres I've never checked but I have been told (possibly wrongly) that the theory was if you punctured on a TT then you'd blown your time anyway.
This is my short wheelbase 653 bike

DSCN0058.JPG

I've got no idea who built the frame, I purchased it 2nd hand from Cyclemagic as a frame with Campagnolo headset and seatpost and built it up myself and originally had 'aero' extensions but couldn't get on with them so took them off. The funny looking bit that sticks up at the front is a set of 'bar extenders' that my lamps mount to.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@midlife answered perfectly, my 653 TT frame is similar but has horizontal dropouts so with 25mm tyres the wheel won't come out with the tyre inflated, whether it would with 19mm tyres I've never checked but I have been told (possibly wrongly) that the theory was if you punctured on a TT then you'd blown your time anyway.
This is my short wheelbase 653 bike

View attachment 353477

I've got no idea who built the frame, I purchased it 2nd hand from Cyclemagic as a frame with Campagnolo headset and seatpost and built it up myself and originally had 'aero' extensions but couldn't get on with them so took them off. The funny looking bit that sticks up at the front is a set of 'bar extenders' that my lamps mount to.
very nice

pubrunner

Legendary Member
A short frame is one with short chain stays, reduces the wheelbase and makes handling sharper. Holdsworth reduced the wheelbase of their team bikes during the 70's to a point where the pros complained of poor handling in the bunch.

Short wheelbase beloved by 70's TT peeps like me who thought it would make them go faster lol

View attachment 353424

Shaun

Shaun, has anyone ever told you, that you closely resemble Alf Engers ? :whistle:

Top Bottom