New arrival - what have I bought? (Yes, it's a Peugeot!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Last Friday I received a phone call from the man I bought this from earlier this month (now sold):

$_58.JPG

His 'mate' had a 12-speed Peugeot as well, so I phoned his mate, was told it was in 'excellent condition' and, not needing another bike, arranged to see it today.

What I found was this:

2014-04-28130209_zps554d54bf.jpg

It's a 12-speed 700c wheel orange Peugeot, which I think is a Randonneur from somewhere around 1973-4. However, I can't see anything about them doing a 12-speed bike in 1974 :wacko: It has Mavic wheels and Mavic brakes, Saccon brake levers and Simplex gears. The bike's basically sound (I rode it the 2 miles to my work!) but the top tube has the paint worn off and the wheels massively need trueing. It'll need new tyres, cables and possibly other bits as well.

Am I anywhere close?

There's also a sticker on the seat tube about the tubing - I'll check tomorrow.

Any ideas as to what I've bought would be helpful. Along with a sanity check.

Last edited:

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
1973fr_01_zps0e32b417.jpg

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
you jammy bujjer....!
if i'm right
.EDIT-------------------------------..
must type faster.......
there will be a serial under the BB
------------------------------------------------------------------

1973_3_zpsd7724c38.jpg

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

you jammy bujjer....!
if i'm right
.EDIT-------------------------------..
must type faster.......
there will be a serial under the BB
------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I was that lucky. I can't see a serial no. and it hasn't got the steel tips on the forks.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

KneesUp

Guru
Looks lie the '73 to me. (Look how similar sized the chainrings are btw - hardly worth changing!)

The PX10 has the forks only half painted.

fixedfixer

Veteran
DClane. The photo looks very similar to an AE 8 that was my first proper bike. It was exactly the same orange colour. Mine had the chrome mudguards and rack as in the brochure image (although no dynamo). Mine was on 27" wheels which I thought was odd for a french bike. Also had mafac racer centre pull brakes. Nice find.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@DCLane that looks great i dont think it will be 531 more like early carbolite 103 either way a great find , couple of good website that should help you , when i can remember them will post links

me like though

KneesUp

Guru
and replacement brake levers? The Weinmann ones with no hoods Peugeot used to use were really uncomfortable.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Thanks - I've also found this very helpful site: http://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/

It's got the decal shown below, which I think means it's a 1973 AO-8. Unless I'm wrong again!
tube_special_allege_peugeot.jpg.w300h200.jpg

The closest match, with pump fittings, etc, is this (apart from different wheels (gear no. & wheel size!), saddle & brake levers):

1910535005_4a74dccc35.jpg

The next question is ... "what do I do with it?".

Last edited:
Top Bottom