New arrivals: Barron 653 plus a Cinelli Bob Jackson 531 renovated frameset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having missed out on a Look 2003 TDF centenary bike I had these two to collect on my return from holidays; a Barron plus a frameset. Both came from a clubmate's widow where I bought his vintage bike and frame, plus two others bought his modern roadie and e-bike. I'm happy to have helped whatever their value since Derek was the one first at the clubhouse meetings setting out and last to leave, always happy to assist. That matters to me. His bikes were also impeccably clean.

The Barron first: this is a 54cm (supposedly) Cinelli 653 frameset from Barron Cycles in Lincolnshire, used by him for time-trialling. Date unknown but it has a Campag Chorus crankset, Ultegra 6500 derailleurs, Tiagra 4500 brakes and what I'm guessing are newer bars/stem and Shimano 2300 shifters. Plus a pair of Campag Vento wheels; the front has a Campag hub, the rear an 8-speed Hope hub. All in very nice condition apart from a couple of marks. He was about 5' 10" and it's a bit too big for me unfortunately :sad: . Plans? Not sure. If it won't fit then it'll be possibly sold in the Spring. I might also make a trip to Barron Cycles to check their records with it.

DSC00602.JPG

Not sure about age, or anything else, though - hence the photos below.

DSC00606.JPG

DSC00603.JPG

The second I thought was a Bob Jackson frameset, but on collection and cleaning I'm less sure. It's got a '531 Renovated' sticker on and is very light but it has a Cinelli frameset as per the photos below. Apart from a few marks it's in nice condition although the upper chrome would benefit from a polish. Any ideas what Cinelli it might be? Or a Bob Jackson? Plans? - Again not a clue at this stage.

DSC00607.JPG

DSC00609.JPG

DSC00610.JPG

DSC00608.JPG

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm sure some expert will confirm or correct me, but didn't Cinelli supply BB shells, so presumably bottom bike is a Bob Jackson frame made using a Cinelli BB shell?

edit to add: in a similar manner you get prunat lugs (other lugs are available) and Campag dropouts / fork ends etc. and obviously your reynolds / columbus etc tubing all blended together by the all important frame builder.

I'm not sure about that back end arrangement on the Barron. Presumably there to make it stiffer, given they claim nowadays that drop stays make the bike feel more compliant?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Nice :smile:. The Jackson with portacatena dropouts and playing card fork tangs and under bb guides, short but window lugs is likely very late 70's to early 80's. The Baron with the aero bottom bracket (yep, it was touted as being aerodynamic) and nod to other things aero is a bit later.

Top Bottom