New beginner cycling video show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david hadley

Hi all,

I am chasing my dream of making a cycling show on the net. It is for all cyclists, but more aimed at the beginner level. I have done a pilot episode below, it is 7 minutes and I would like your feedback.

http://youtu.be/gXY-hzMfo3Q

The show would have many different segments including

Profile biking trails and tours - Trails in capital cities, Rail Trails, Tors of the world, etc
DIY cycle - A mechanic shows how to do basic repairs or installations on your bike such as changing a flat tyre or choosing and installing bike lights.
Reviews and showcases of bikes and gadgets.
Interviews- Popular cyclists, Amy Gillett Foundation, local cycling groups, etc
Educational segments- Car vs bike to work, safe ways to cycle, environmental benefits of cycling, ride to work day, is your workplace cycle friendly, physical benefits of cycling, dust off that old bike in the garage, etc.

Wont let me watch it on my mobile?

OP
OP
david hadley

david hadley

Forgot to mention that. For the first episode, I have used music from other artists, so it cant be shown on mobile devices. For the real program, it will have its own music.

Works on windows 8 phone though a friend told me!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nice easy-going film but I'm not sure what I would have learned from it if I was a beginner. If you asked me to nit-pick I'd say it's a shame that the blonde girl had her helmet stuck uselessly on the back of her head and the boy had his helmet strap twisted.

If you wanted to make useful, informative videos, you'd need to give more information about distances and routes for beginners, I reckon.

Superb scenery though - is all of Norway as lovely as that?

OP
OP
david hadley

david hadley

Ipad is also classified as a mobile device by Youtube.

Thanks for the feedback Globalti. I have linked in the Strava (mapping app) that shows elevation and distance. In the real show I would put it up at the start of the video so you know what is happening.

The point for the beginner is that we are just using old bikes from the shed. Nothing is fancy. The show is about dusting that old bike out of the shed, fixing it up a bit and start riding. I am from Australia, for the past 5 years sales of bikes are higher than sales of cars, yet there are not that many bikers. I agree with you Globalti that it needs to be stressed a lot better and we would need to point out a few more things, but its just a pilot. The final show would be a lot more polished.

Safety is also very important. The helmets should be better strapped and the final few seconds where the guy is lying flat on his bike would not make it to the full show.

Yes, Norway is a beautiful as that! :smile: Mountains and fjords everywhere! Just mind the trolls.

Not bad, I quite enjoyed it. Humour was good, slightly overstated in places maybe. Taking into account what you said about where you're at I think the format is good, really need to see the polished version to comment on stuff like route info and preparation.

Agree with Globalti, if you're going to wear helmets, wear them properly or leave them off. It looked like you'd added them because you think you should.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
HERD OF COWS!!!!!

And agree with the helmet thing.
Wear properly or not at all.

Good vid though. Some great scenery.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm confused. A pilot episode of a beginner cyclist series that forgets include anything relevant to beginner cyclists. You basically went geo-caching and ate a sandwich.

Helmets? Lights? road craft? protective gear? bike fit? bike types? basic maintenance?

OP
OP
david hadley

david hadley

Let me try to explain it a bit better. This is a segment of an episode.

A full episode would consist of the following segments.

DIY bike repairs - Pull your old bike out of the shed, check tires, chain, etc. (This same segment in later episodes would progress to choosing and fitting a light, lock, changing a flat tyre, etc)
Profile a great ride, rail trail, etc - In this case the Norwegian ride. (The first episode will be of a simple, easy, flat ride. The pilot episode is more advanced)
Educational segment - physical benefits of cycling.

This pilot episode is just a simple mash up of all these things. Its just a taste of the fun part of the show. Its not aimed just at beginners, its just not aimed at the top end. As the show progresses, the skills, heights, equipment, bike types, etc would also grow with the show.

I hope this helps you understand TMHNET. Maybe i should have posted the first draft 10 episodes so you could understand the show a bit better

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have enjoyed your video but it is not what you describe in your post. So far, it is only a ride out with your mates. There is nothing a beginner would learn from that. May I change some suggestions:
  • talk about different type of bikes and their use.
  • what clothes to wear.
  • regular safety checks for the bike.
  • maintenance.
  • ride safe on the road ( highway code)
  • riding solo versus riding in a group.
These are just a few pointers and I'm sure members on here will add to this.:whistle:
Good luck anyway and keep enjoying your rides.:hello:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
HERD OF COWS!!!!!

Nasty things cows ,, all big eyes and butter wouldn't melt , but after being near the daft beasties all my life , I would think twice about going past cows especially if they have calf's.

From the Independent paper

"Four people have been trampled to death by cows in just over eight weeks this summer, prompting British farmers and the Ramblers Association to warn yesterday of the potential dangers".

Globalti

Legendary Member
For beginners the most important subject has to be that of bike fit. Many beginners will be using a borrowed or hired bike and won't know anything about choosing the right sized bike then adjusting it for a comfortable and efficient ride. How many beginners have been put off cycling by bad bike choice or bad setup? Just a minute on saddle height and angle would make a big difference.

Top Bottom