New bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dodgy

Ludwig said:
Why not consider a classic vintage used lightweight. The build quality of the old steel bikes was superb, and they look and ride much better than new bikes.

Thanks, but no thanks ;)

Dave.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

lonesome_rider said:
Hope you enjoy your new bike Dave. Not got to the ordering stage with mine yet.... but looking forward it nonetheless :biggrin:

Cheers, Dolan are local(ish) to me, so there's plenty of them about. I almost bought a Merlin Works CR (£2799) but the deal on the Dolan (with Ultegra and quality finishing kit) made the difference in price too great to go for the Merlin. The money I've saved will mean I can bring forward the purchase of my MTB replacement (fancy a Whyte E-120 ;) ).

Dave.

gavintc

Guru
My wife got an F4:13 a couple of years ago. She has loved it. The only problem is that the seat post (carbon) has become stuck in the carbon frame and she cannot move it. Chatting options through with the LBS, he said that it was a common problem on that bike as there was not much clearance.

If you do buy a slightly cheaper bike, it will leave some funds to upgrade the wheels. The Most wheels on my wife's bike were pretty heavy.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

I upgraded the wheels at point of sale, subtracted the value of the supplied Aksiums from the Xero X-Carbons. I'll take on board the carbon/carbon contact points, perhaps put some anti-seize in there.

Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Here's a pic of the bike.

dolanbike.jpg

Looks pretty ;)

Dave.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It looks good but it's going downhill. I had a seatpost seizure with carbon to ali, I didn't realse carbon to carbon seized though.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

I test rode the XR-Carbon rims before buying, they feel fine to me and I'm 14 stone. They're not that light, but well suited to the stronger rider. I think the XR-1s came in for a bit of criticism due to their tendency to flex under load, I haven't witnessed that with the XR-carbons. I got them for roughly £220 (equivelent once I'd swapped them out for the rims that came with this build - Aksiums). They are an absolute steal for £200.

Dave.

Top Bottom