New bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rhodri27

Hi all,

just a quick introduction , i am new to the world of road bikes after many years on cross country mountain bikes,

i have been using a family members Trek Alpha which i am enjoying and now want to purchase my own road bike.

Looking for some advice i will be using this for alot of things group rides, solo training to keep fit and building the miles up as i wish to compete in races over the coming months.

I am also doing the london triathlon so will be looking to use it for that.

I am looking to spend between £750-£1000 and looking for the best bike for my funds.

I have gone to a local cycling shop and know what size frame i need but to be completely honest been a novice to the road side of things the guy went into so much technically detail he just confused me even more.

any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rhodri

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi & :welcome: @rhodri27

1st up, what is your height & inseam ?

Might help us find a good one that will fit.

What frame size has been recommended & what have you already looked at ?

If buying by cash or card, it is possible that a 2014, or even a 2013 bike will get you a better return for your £££.

Cyclist33

What is the name of your local shop and what brands does it do? Not all brands size their frames identically so it's not a one size fits all situation, but if we know what brands you've got available we can start looking at geometry charts etc!

As you are not that experienced I would definitely avoid buying online this time around, even though you can get much better bargains that way. Worry not: £1000 gets you a cracking road bike these days even if at full RRP and a 2015 model.

zach

Hi,

i am 5,11 i have a leisure lakes and an evans store near to me and also a local one called eastgate cycles gloucester.

Advised a 56 sized frame.

Thanks

I am 5,10 and and I have 56 frame and is perfect, so you'd be OK too. With the budget up to £1000 I would visit the LBS. In our LBS for around £1000 I would get Trek Domane 2.0T (£900) and some earlier version of Trek bikes (Trek 1.5C - £750, Trek 1.2C - £650, Trek 1.1C £575). In our LBS if you buy a bike for over £800 you'll get a free bicycle fitting too.

OP
OP
R

rhodri27

hmmm i just assumed this was the case? I will certainly look into this option as well.

thanks

Top Bottom