New bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dishy

I recently sold my road bike as wasn't getting enough use now to having kids who want to go out riding. Kids are 5 and 2 so looking to buy something that I can use to ride with them, mainly dirt tracks and through woods.

Would I be better buying a hybrid or a mountain bike? I also have a turbo trainer that I would like to keep using but could I usr either of these on it? I don't want to have to keep switching tyres so thought possibly buying a spare rear wheel. My budget is around 300

Drago

Legendary Member
If the tracks are fairly mild, and you're confining your riding to dry weather then a hybrid will do very nicely.

tom73

Guru
What about a Trek fx3 bit over your budget but it’s a cracking bike for the money. Mrs 73 has one and loves it. Happily ride one if she’d let me ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
What about a Trek fx3 bit over your budget but it’s a cracking bike for the money. Mrs 73 has one and loves it. Happily ride one if she’d let me ;)
Wouldn’t be my choice for woods and trails unless they’ve made them much chunkier since I had one about 10 years ago?
If really only using on rougher stuff, I wouldn’t discount suspension on a hybrid but buy a second hand bike with higher end components (probably something that was £700 new)

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I have never done this myself but I know someone who bought a 1990s mountain bike with 26 inch wheels. They put a pair of slicks on the original tyres for road use and bought a donor bike with the same type of rear cassette for the wheels. He put knobblies on the wheels from the donor and placed them on his bike whenever he went off road. I guess the downside is that you would need to make some minor ajustments to the brake and gear cable each time you swap.

If the main reason for getting a bike is to ride with your 5 & 2 year old, then almost anything second hand will suffice with tyres that have a bit of puncture resistance .

Unless of course there is a bit more to the reason for getting the bike.

Toddlers ride at toddler pace. The 5 year old quite a bit faster, but obviously all 3 of you have to ride at the pace of the toddler ideally.

OP
OP
Dishy

Dishy

Was looking at Halfords options but hear bad reviews about them, and thinking main use being with kids might be better on a mountain bike. But was looking to keep option open for going on solo rides which I feel a mountain bike isn't a great option for on the road

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Halfords is a bit Marmite, sometimes you get a good experience sometimes not. Depends if Kevin, or whoever knows about bikes is on duty.
The Carrera Subway is a bit of a camel but it's OK. As @Racing roadkill says a Decathlon bike might be a better option if you want new, plus you get a lifetime frame warranty.
I think a hybrid is good choice for what you want.

pjd57

Veteran
Had my Carrera subway for at least ten years.
Go anywhere reliable bike.
Ideal for towing as well . Used a tag along with the oldest grandson until he outgrew it, loved it.

Still use the subway for the shops and it's on standby for the winter.

Top Bottom