new bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

Lee1319

Regular
Also I mainly use my bike for long rides out at the weekend no commuting

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I understand its a bit of a gamble but I have never really jumped on a bike and though oh I don't like this.

This makes you the same as the vast majority of bike buyers.

Since Mike Burrows introduced his Total Compact Road frame and its adjustability you only have three sizes to choose from, instead of up to 10.

Two sizes can usually be easily ruled out meaning the chances of buying the wrong size are low.

What is it about the Planet X you like?

To me, it has an understated German style, so you could also look at Canyon and Cube, and possibly Rose, although they seem a bit dearer.

The spec of the Planet X, while decent, isn't especially spectacular value for £1,300, and could probably be matched elsewhere.

Nothing to stop you taking the Planet X link into your local bike shop on your smartphone and asking them if they have something similar they could offer you.

We all have our favourite brands, but there's nothing to suggest Giant, Spesh, Trek, Cannondale, Orbea, or a dozen others couldn't offer you an equally nice bike.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/icons-of-cycling-giant-tcr-206346

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’re attracted by SRAM force (as I would be other than the fugly hydraulic brifter hood size), you’ll find it difficult to find on many (if any) other £1300 bikes

OP
OP
L

Lee1319

Regular
This makes you the same as the vast majority of bike buyers.

Since Mike Burrows introduced his Total Compact Road frame and its adjustability you only have three sizes to choose from, instead of up to 10.

Two sizes can usually be easily ruled out meaning the chances of buying the wrong size are low.

What is it about the Planet X you like?

To me, it has an understated German style, so you could also look at Canyon and Cube, and possibly Rose, although they seem a bit dearer.

The spec of the Planet X, while decent, isn't especially spectacular value for £1,300, and could probably be matched elsewhere.

Nothing to stop you taking the Planet X link into your local bike shop on your smartphone and asking them if they have something similar they could offer you.

We all have our favourite brands, but there's nothing to suggest Giant, Spesh, Trek, Cannondale, Orbea, or a dozen others couldn't offer you an equally nice bike.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/icons-of-cycling-giant-tcr-206346

Nothing particular about planet X it's more been that the reviews for this particular bike seems to be very good I'm have just been to try the giant Propel Advanced 2 and have decided aero isn't the right type of bike for me. I'm willing to look around just it's such a mine field out there I feel like I need to start narrowing it down

OP
OP
L

Lee1319

Regular
Where are you based?
Have you looked at the Decathlon offerings if that's what you want? Are disc brakes negotiable?
I found a couple on decathlon that I really like only to find there's no frames in my size
I'm in Leicester so no where near a decathlon store either the
Disk breaks arent a must but I would prefer them

vickster

Legendary Member
I found a couple on decathlon that I really like only to find there's no frames in my size
I'm in Leicester so no where near a decathlon store either the
Disk breaks arent a must but I would prefer them
One think to note is that Planet X have short frame warranties, 5 or 6 years

Have you looked at Ribble or Dolan?

If the right size and there's some flex in your budget and you want a lifetime warranty, you could consider something like this

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-roubaix-sport-disc-2019-road-bike-EV377497

OP
OP
L

Lee1319

Regular
One think to note is that Planet X have short frame warranties, 5 or 6 years

Have you looked at Ribble or Dolan?

If the right size and there's some flex in your budget and you want a lifetime warranty, you could consider something like this

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-roubaix-sport-disc-2019-road-bike-EV377497

That would be the top end of my budget and as they do finance that's even better I was looking at one of these but it was £1700 and that was too much don't know why I didn't think of Evans there's a store less than a mile from me I will pop in there and have a look

vickster

Legendary Member
That would be the top end of my budget and as they do finance that's even better I was looking at one of these but it was £1700 and that was too much don't know why I didn't think of Evans there's a store less than a mile from me I will pop in there and have a look
It's not in stock in Leicester, but they might have a different model. It's only available in 56cm so for around 5'11

OP
OP
L

Lee1319

Regular
The Triban 3 was an exceptional bike when first launched. It really put the cat amongst the pigeons. It still commands ( relatively) silly money on the used market, as a result. If you want to go down the same VFM route. Decathlon have some exceptional bikes in their range.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rr-900-cf-carbon-road-bike-black-105-id_8500479.html
I dare you to get a better spec for the money than this.
Yeah I would have had one of those in a heartbeat the only problem is they don't do finance and as I'm getting a new bike the Mrs has decided I should also buy her one so I need somewhere that offers interest free finance for now

Top Bottom