Planet X.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martin-g

Regular
As the title suggests, I’m thinking of getting a Planet X pro carbon evo, has anyone got any experience of Planet X bikes and if so would you recommend them? It seems you get a lot of bike for the money, but I don’t want to be sneered at by the clique bunch if you get my drift. I know it shouldn’t bother me what others think, but I’m a sensitive soul!

Slick

Guru
Sorry to be blunt, but more fool you.

I would get the bike and find some proper mates to ride with. :okay:

Venod

Eh up
I have had a carbon pro, a nice ride but it was a large and I was never quite happy with the fit, a medium felt too small, I have an On One Pickenflick, despite being the cheapest Ti bike I have owned(I have had 5 Ti) it is the best. Planet X are well regarded by most riders I know, we like a bargain in Yorkshire, ignore the doubters.

pawl

Legendary Member
I've got a couple of Planet X bikes, including the original Pro Carbon. Those who sneer at them don't know what they're missing out on for the price.

I have the Pro Carbon.I was asked by one snobby cyclist why I would buy a bike that didn’t have concealed cables.Asked him if he had had to replace a cable.Answer no I will get my L B S to do it.To change a cable, really Love my exposed cable Pro Carbon.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What's that I hear? It's the sound of the retro brigade and the We Are Proper Cyclists group clearing their throats ready to sneer at you.

You can't win.^_^

Well, you can win, actually. Just get the bike you like and ride it how you like.

I wouldn’t worry a major what anyone else thinks.

personally, i like to support my LBS. I’ve just built a new bike where I got the frame from th3 supplier but my LBS supplied everything else on a price matching basis. On a couple of bits I even in insist3d on paying more! I like the assurance of knowing I can pop in anytime for help and advice.

but, I’d certainly buy a Planetx, I’ve lots of friends who ride them with no issues.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As the title suggests, I’m thinking of getting a Planet X pro carbon evo, has anyone got any experience of Planet X bikes and if so would you recommend them? It seems you get a lot of bike for the money, but I don’t want to be sneered at by the clique bunch if you get my drift. I know it shouldn’t bother me what others think, but I’m a sensitive soul!

You are spot on, there is a small percentage of road cyclists who will worry terribly about what you are riding.

But satisfying all of them may be impossible.

A mail order plastic bike will be looked down upon, but just as many might swoon at your Colnago, there will be others who will sneer at it.

Even if you can find the 'correct' make of bike, how you spec it and set it up could leave you in purdah with some.

Electronic gears or manual? Tubes or tubeless? Cloth or plastic bar tape?

All of these things divide opinion, and don't even mention calliper or disc brakes.

Heck, there's even some riders who will criticise your use of dust caps - or not - as the case may be.

You could do what I do, ride a flat bar ebike which means you can hack off up their arse roadies both on the road and at the cafe stop.

Or you could just buy the bike you like and ride it where and when you like.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I own a Claude Butler and could not be bothered what others think, it is me on the bike when I am riding not them. I used to own a Motobecane steel bike and always was jeered at by work colleagues including my MD. I just rose above it and enjoyed the ride. You buy what you like and what fits you, couple that with reliability and you`ll be on to a winner, regardless of what the snobs think.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On the subject of "snobbishness" I think things can easily be taken the wrong way. A few years ago I rode with a club and when I turned up on my 80s steel Dawes people were interested, they were cyclists after all, so they were interested in bikes. No one said anything that I took to be disparaging. Maybe the nearest were "I used to have one like that ... never again" and "well if you can keep up with so & so on that, you'll be doing very well indeed". Which was a fair enough call as the bike was several kilos heavier that a lot of the bikes they were riding. But mainly people were just curious about it as it was a bit different. If I'd been prickly and quick to take offence I may have seen this as snobbishness but that wasn't how I experienced it. And I was just as interested in the latest fancy DI2 stuff etc, and still am.

DSK

Never had a Planet X so cannot comment. However, for the money/haggling, consider a quick look at Carbon Boardman range. I bought a forum members Team Carbon uprated and was very, very surprised at how well it rode! I think some earlier SLR/Air models may be within grasp too.

Top Bottom