Holdsworth (Planet X) Helm ... any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm a bit tempted by this from Planet X ... Holdsworth Helm with Campag Chorus

Even with the very average wheels and ancillary components it seems pretty good value for a titanium bike.

Planet X tell me it weighs 7.65kg (with Chorus) which seems implausible, particularly with those wheels. I'm guessing it'll be closer to 9kg, but how much closer?

So what's the catch with cheap(ish) titanium, can it really be that light and am I completely mad to even consider this?

All opinions welcome :smile:

f

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
When I read your post I followed the link expecting a titanium bike costing £1500 to £1800. Shows how out of touch I am, £3100 is not cheapish to me.

From your post I gathered weight and cost are important to you; carbon can give you both of those - what is the particular appeal of titanium to you?

OP
OP
feckless

feckless

Guru
When I read your post I followed the link expecting a titanium bike costing £1500 to £1800. Shows how out of touch I am, £3100 is not cheapish to me.

From your post I gathered weight and cost are important to you; carbon can give you both of those - what is the particular appeal of titanium to you?

I'm not looking for titanium specifically, this just happened to crop up on my search and the geometry suits me.

Nothing against carbon, the bike this would be replacing is carbon (3T Exploro, in road trim). But I do quite like the idea of something a bit different. For comparison, I have been looking at the Fairlight Strael, Look 765 and Bianchi Infinito.

Regarding weight, anything under 9kg will work for me. The Exploro is a bit of a lump, and quite harsh with it, I'm looking for a bit more comfort and springiness.

f

Even with the very average wheels and ancillary components it seems pretty good value for a titanium bike.

Planet X tell me it weighs 7.65kg (with Chorus) which seems implausible, particularly with those wheels. I'm guessing it'll be closer to 9kg, but how much closer?

So what's the catch with cheap(ish) titanium, can it really be that light and am I completely mad to even consider this?

f

Description says 8.8Kg for a medium ?

I've had a Ti Tempest from PX for 3 years and I love it. It's not that light - but it has stout 32mm tyres and full guards and can take knobblies when I want. To me it's a perfect winter/all year bike.

If you want light then I'd go for a second hand Carbon Fibre bike but there's more to it than just weight.

OP
OP
feckless

feckless

Guru
What tyres do you have on the exploro - could you make it less harsh with more rubber ?

I probably could. Currently it’s on 700x28mm GP5000s, which are pretty supple, but it wasn’t much better on the 32mm Schwalbe Ones that I ran previously.

Mostly I just want a change though, and n+1 will have to be accompanied by n-1 for reasons of domestic politics.

f

28s are a fast road tyre now. My CF superbike has those tyres and it shifts.

I thought the exploro was a Gravel bike ?

I'm sure the Ti bike will be nice but I'd be fairly sure it's heavier than what you have already.

Maherees

Über Member
I did a 40 mile round trip today on my heavily modified PX Tempest ( hope wheels etc) I last did the same on my carbon race bike in July and was 2 mins slower but I was far less beaten up. Love my titanium bike.

Last edited:

TedCrilly

f

Hello f

I too am tempted by the Helm.

I already have a Pickenflick and I love titanium bikes. Did you pull the trigger? There isn't much info around on 'em.

I need N+1

:laugh:

OP
OP
feckless

feckless

Guru
Hello f

I too am tempted by the Helm.

I already have a Pickenflick and I love titanium bikes. Did you pull the trigger? There isn't much info around on 'em.

I need N+1

:laugh:

No I didn't. Went for a Fairlight Strael instead. In part because I have no idea whether I could get a Ti frame repaired around here.

f

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
No I didn't. Went for a Fairlight Strael instead. In part because I have no idea whether I could get a Ti frame repaired around here.

f

Sounds like the right choice tbh; was tempted to suggest similar as the Planet X brand doesn't really fill me with confidence re. quality and after-sales; especially when it comes to more exotic materials.

Far better an expensive steel bike than cheap Ti / CFRP IMO; and by all accounts the Strael is a cracker :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sounds like the right choice tbh; was tempted to suggest similar as the Planet X brand doesn't really fill me with confidence re. quality and after-sales; especially when it comes to more exotic materials.

Far better an expensive steel bike than cheap Ti / CFRP IMO; and by all accounts the Strael is a cracker :smile:

I have 2 PX Ti bikes. My local bike mechanic who works on them said the frames are as good and as well made, if not even better in some cases then higher end priced equivalents. Noting that the frames were designed by Ti design guru and master Ti frame maker Mark Reilly.
And after doing 10's of thousands of miles on them, both touring and commuting, I'm inclined to agree.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have 2 PX Ti bikes. My local bike mechanic who works on them said the frames are as good and as well made, if not even better in some cases then higher end priced equivalents. Noting that the frames were designed by Ti design guru and master Ti frame maker Mark Reilly.
And after doing 10's of thousands of miles on them, both touring and commuting, I'm inclined to agree.

That's fair enough and I'm glad to hear you're happy with yours :smile:

You can only call it how you see it and I have no direct experience, however legitimately or otherwise I'm dubious of own-brand stuff from the less-spendy end. There's also that case doing the rounds recently of the junior doctor paralised when the forks on his PX bike fell to bits - a pretty isolated incident but only serves to reinforce my hesitance concerning composite forks and this particular brand..

Top Bottom