new bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I would have had one of those in a heartbeat the only problem is they don't do finance and as I'm getting a new bike the Mrs has decided I should also buy her one so I need somewhere that offers interest free finance for now
Interest free credit card, then you can buy whatever you want, wherever

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Save £400 by going for the SRAM Rival version of the PlanetX and spend some of that on Mrs Lee1319

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yeah I would have had one of those in a heartbeat the only problem is they don't do finance and as I'm getting a new bike the Mrs has decided I should also buy her one so I need somewhere that offers interest free finance for now
In my view there is no such thing as interest free credit, the retail price will reflect, increase, to allow for the "free" interest. You pay for the finance one way or another.

If you want low cost credit then a 0% credit card is your best option. When necessary we've done this a number of times. Make the initial purchase on one's regular card, find a 0% interest card with a long period of 0%. Do a balance transfer to the new card and make monthly payments to ensure the card is paid off when the 0% period ends. You will pay a balance transfer fee of 1-3%

I did this for my son recently. He needed a new car but the finance was adding +/- £1000 to the cost. I paid for the car, took out a new 0% credit card and my lad pays me back each month. From memory I think the total cost was £210 for the balance transfer fee.

Currently you can get deals of 20-29 months at 0% with balance transfer fees of 0-3% At worst you'll pay £30 per £1000 which over 29 months is £1/month.

That's a much better deal than trying to find "free" finance while trying to get the bike you want!

vickster

Legendary Member
In my view there is no such thing as interest free credit, the retail price will reflect, increase, to allow for the "free" interest. You pay for the finance one way or another.

If you want low cost credit then a 0% credit card is your best option. When necessary we've done this a number of times. Make the initial purchase on one's regular card, find a 0% interest card with a long period of 0%. Do a balance transfer to the new card and make monthly payments to ensure the card is paid off when the 0% period ends. You will pay a balance transfer fee of 1-3%

I did this for my son recently. He needed a new car but the finance was adding +/- £1000 to the cost. I paid for the car, took out a new 0% credit card and my lad pays me back each month. From memory I think the total cost was £210 for the balance transfer fee.

Currently you can get deals of 20-29 months at 0% with balance transfer fees of 0-3% At worst you'll pay £30 per £1000 which over 29 months is £1/month.

That's a much better deal than trying to find "free" finance while trying to get the bike you want!
Or just get a 0% purchase CC and pay no fee for anything. Just set up a DD to pay it off over the interest free period (up to 2 years often I think)

www.comparethemarket.com/credit-cards/purchases/%3famp
Simples :okay:
Obviously you’ll need a credit rating that will get you enough credit to buy the bike you want. They usually give me around £10k straight off! :unsure:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lee1319

Regular
One think to note is that Planet X have short frame warranties, 5 or 6 years

Have you looked at Ribble or Dolan?

If the right size and there's some flex in your budget and you want a lifetime warranty, you could consider something like this

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-roubaix-sport-disc-2019-road-bike-EV377497

after a bit of research and a shopping about I have put a deposit on the Roubaix 2019 sport going to take it out for a test ride when its delivered to store on Friday and if all's good ill do the business. cheers

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
after a bit of research and a shopping about I have put a deposit on the Roubaix 2019 sport going to take it out for a test ride when its delivered to store on Friday and if all's good ill do the business. cheers

A commuter with one of these called into my local bike shop when I was in a couple of weeks ago.

Or at least I think it was one of these, a carbon Spesh with the spring in the head tube.

Unfortunately, he'd fallen on ice and was in for a mech hanger realignment.

He said he was pleased with the bike on which he'd done a few thousand trouble free miles - until he hit the patch of ice.

OP
OP
L

Lee1319

Regular
A commuter with one of these called into my local bike shop when I was in a couple of weeks ago.

Or at least I think it was one of these, a carbon Spesh with the spring in the head tube.

Unfortunately, he'd fallen on ice and was in for a mech hanger realignment.

He said he was pleased with the bike on which he'd done a few thousand trouble free miles - until he hit the patch of ice.
Yeah Ice is a pain I hit a patch last Sunday and almost came off. Glad to hear the bikes good I have heard a few people say they have done some good milage on them without any issues so that's reassuring

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What's in marketing?

Probably not very much, but the bike is named after the so-called Hell of the North.

If one could survive being hammered over those cobbles it must be pretty good.

How's the bike doing after a week? Looking at getting what I think is the same one, would you recommend?

OP
OP
L

Lee1319

Regular
How's the bike doing after a week? Looking at getting what I think is the same one, would you recommend?
Not got out on it nearly as much as I would like (working too much and crap weather) but it rides fantastically and I'm not sure if it's me working harder or the bike but I'm Shaving a fair bit of time off my rides. I would reccomend this bike

froze

Über Member
I went to the Planet X bike site and saw that they had a very highly and favorably reviewed titanium bike called the Pickenflick, that bike was also rated the best deal in a titanium bike. Having ridden both Carbon fiber and titanium, and ended up with a TI bike is because there is nothing, not even steel, that rides as well as titanium does, and it will last forever, you also don't have to worry about accidentally over torquing something and crushing the CF or breaking the boss attached to the CF.

Having said that you might only want CF and nothing else, ok, that's fine, but why pick a brand name with a low resale value to it? A Planet X branded bike value will tank compared to others, whereas the (the Pickenflick will maintain it's value better than any of the others will) a bike like the Holdsworth will not tank near as much.

sorry to throw a monkey wrench into your brain but just thought you may not have considered some things.

vickster

Legendary Member
I went to the Planet X bike site and saw that they had a very highly and favorably reviewed titanium bike called the Pickenflick, that bike was also rated the best deal in a titanium bike. Having ridden both Carbon fiber and titanium, and ended up with a TI bike is because there is nothing, not even steel, that rides as well as titanium does, and it will last forever, you also don't have to worry about accidentally over torquing something and crushing the CF or breaking the boss attached to the CF.

Having said that you might only want CF and nothing else, ok, that's fine, but why pick a brand name with a low resale value to it? A Planet X branded bike value will tank compared to others, whereas the (the Pickenflick will maintain it's value better than any of the others will) a bike like the Holdsworth will not tank near as much.

sorry to throw a monkey wrench into your brain but just thought you may not have considered some things.
He bought the Specialized :okay:

Top Bottom