New bike and there are two washers in bag with no instructions can anyone help please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gordonr

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

image.jpg

C R

Guru
Those go in the front axle, between the nut and the fork. There's a hole for the tab above the slot for the axle. They act as retainers for the axle.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I wish all bikes did. It would be quicker to bin them that faff about filing the lawyer lips off.
My son's bike has both. I changed the front axle for a quick release for ease of transport, but the lawyer lips make it a pain to remove the wheel. I considered filing them off, but I was concerned what would happen when it comes to sell it on.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My son's bike has both. I changed the front axle for a quick release for ease of transport, but the lawyer lips make it a pain to remove the wheel. I considered filing them off, but I was concerned what would happen when it comes to sell it on.
Nothing. No one looks for lawyer lips, they just find them when they discover their quick release isn't quick. Tullio Campagnolo must be spinning in his grave.

Venod

Eh up
Whats wrong with lawyers Lips? I think they are a good idea, are you removing them to change the wheel quicker in a race?

C R

Guru
Whats wrong with lawyers Lips? I think they are a good idea, are you removing them to change the wheel quicker in a race?
The issue is that you need to loosen the nut so when it comes to put the wheel back after taking the bike out of the car, you spend five minutes finding the right position for the nut, whereas with mine I just need to redo the quick release. It is a right faff having to readjust the QR every time, and I doubt it adds that much safety.

Top Bottom