1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New bike - approx £1500 ????

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by tempus fugit, 27 Aug 2007.

1. tempus fugit

tempus fugit New Member

I'm going to come into approx £1000 - £1500 in the near future and would like to invest it in a road bike that will be lighter and maybe higher quality than my existing Fausto Coppi Torino.
    Has anyone got any ideas please ? I'm considering a number of options , Cinelli Man Machine , Wilier Mortirolo , not sure what other options I've got .

2. Speck

Speck Oldest Teenager In Town

I recently bought a Wilier Mortirolo (Veloce) with an upgrade to Racing 5's for £1,440 form Epic Cycles. Love it. http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk

3. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

£1500 is a very workable budget. A good LBS should be able to give you lots of options from a number of different frame builders, componenets and wheels. From all the options you should be able to choose which are your priorities. They would also include a fitting service and advise you which frames would fit you better than others. Where do you live? I'm sure people would be happy to tell you where you can get a decent service.

4. I recently bought a Bianchi C2C Carbon Veloce @ £1450, it could be another option or one of their B4P series, the 1885 looks nice. The C2C designed for distance (comfort) the B4P is designed for performance (speed)

5. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

The Wilier is a great bike, and I speak from experience, if you can stretch the budget a bit, then go for the Centaur Gruppo. The Cinelli Man Machine looks great, but the ride is a lot harsher than the Wilier IMO.

6. slow down

slow down New Member

Have you thought about frame and parts build up? If you're not confident enough to build yourself, your LBS will happily do it for you. It may cost a little more, but if you buy off the shelf, you invariably end up being not 100% happy about saddle, wheels, tyres, bar width etc and swap them out. Always better to make your own choice IMHO.

7. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I bought a Scott CR1 Pro reduced from £1899 to £1399 recently. Fantastic ride!

8. Evilcat

Evilcat Senior Member

Yep, worth mentioning that 2007 model bikes are now being discounted by the big online retailers. Not exactly a LBS experience, but plenty of bargains falling into the £1,500 price range.

EC

9. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

my condor acciao, steel frame, veloce GS, vento wheels, custom fit, came in at £1100. a snip.

10. walker

walker New Member

I'd recomend a Planet X. Very good for the price

11. jashburnham

jashburnham New Member

NOW SOLD

I have a 2007 Wilier Mortirolo Centaur which I am thinking of selling. Please see here for pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58467471@N00/538690733/

Let me know if you are interested, I should warn you that it will not be sold with the wheels, pedals or saddle pictured, but I have the original (and barely used) Fulcrum 7's and saddle. The bike has done a fair few summer miles but all in good weather and is in near mint condition. Only reason I'm considering selling is to fund an upgrade to a Pinarello Prince. Let me know if you are interested, if you're in London then I'm sure we could arrange a viewing!

12. why dont you have a look at the giant scr series nice nice bikes at £1500 you will be looking at the scr c3 its a compact so it will look a bit small.
    SCR%20C3%2008.jpg