New Bike Arrived

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It arrived on Thursday afternoon
I'd finished work early, to go to the Barbers, & then home

Parcelforce were talking to next door, as I arrived
Didn't think much of it, until I got in the house, & the front doorbell rang

Ribble had put the wrong house number on the box:rolleyes:, but thankfully a few houses on the lane are named (built in 1899, & original carved name-stone, in situ)
Thankfully neighbour & postie both realised this

Had a check over, seemed okay
Mudguards sorted out & flaps
Spare bottle cages fitted
A pair of (M530? - off my old MTB) SPDs that were found in the shed fitted

Friday I was working 10:00 - 18:00, so no chance to ride it
ParkRan this morning, then went out, about 11:30

It was an interesting first ride this afternoon!!

1. High front end - almost 2.5" higher than 'blue', with same spacers in!!
(took allen-keys, & took 2 spacers out 'on the road', feels a bit better)

2. Feels sluggish/stuck to the road - but..... all of my other bikes, barring the CX, are on '23' ('20', in the Dyna-Techs case!!)
The last time I rode tyres that far, they were Tioga City-Slickers (1.25") on the Pace - I sold that in about 1998

3. Bars are 'oversize' - not noted on specification picking
(have to try & get lights/reflectors on them yet!!)

4. Tiagra levers seem to have a lot of travel before contact
Is this normal for road-discs??

CGR
Tiagra groupset (but a 105 rear mech, for some reason)
172.5 cranks (50/34)
12-28 cassette (must be getting old, 'blue' has a 12-25, & I can out-climb the local Triathlon lads I go out with, on that!)
Mavic Aksium wheels
Schwalbe Durano 'RaceGuard' 28
'Flite' (1990 pattern) saddle

DSCF2858.JPG

DSCF2856.JPG

Black flappage
DSCF2859.JPG

Reflective flappage
DSCF2861.JPG

Last edited:
Its really nice,I hope you enjoy it.
Thankyou
A bit more of a 'winter colour', than their other all-rounder, like mine
Rides. Squires 1. 1.JPG

It'll take some getting used to, after being so low on 'blue'
I will probably take the 3rd spacer out, & get a flat stem (or take it off 'blue'?)

12-28 I assume you meant?
Yes, sorry, a 'typo':blush:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Tiagra levers do seem to have a bit of travel / play before action, whether it's discs, blocks, or shifts up or down, there's always about a centimetre of play before it engages. It's no biggie, I hardly notice. Does it brake well once engaged?

Nice bike. :-)

Rich ...feels sluggish? Maybe not the bike for you.. same with me had a Canny carbon ultegra synapse..£2ks worth of tech fest but binned it off...best move i ever made!

Mrs M

Guru
Very smart :smile:
Love the colour

You'll get used to it, the tyres are different from your old bike so its bound to feel different,dont be getting rid of it.
As I wrote at the top, not had tyres that fat, since early-mid 90's

Very smart :smile:
Love the colour
Chipped it already, dropped the 'expander' bolt on top-tube, only from a few inches
Flouro colours do seem to chip easily (did years ago, on my Marin Pine Mountain, & the Orbit road-bike, I had)

Tiagra levers do seem to have a bit of travel / play before action, whether it's discs, blocks, or shifts up or down, there's always about a centimetre of play before it engages. It's no biggie, I hardly notice. Does it brake well once engaged?
Nice bike. :-)
Brakes feel better with some familiarity, after a reasonable length ride today
The '28' tyres still feel draggy, even at 90PSI, but I guess the feeling will change

Being careful how I say this...
I like your flaps.
http://rawmudflap.uk/

gbb

Legendary Member
You say 'feels sluggish'

When I got my new Fulcrums, I was horrified, they just seemed to slow down every time I stopped pedalling, I'd just quickly roll to a stop, much faster than I expected, the wheels felt dead.
This was after running well run in and free wheels, I suspected it was the new bearings. They will free up, I got impatient and put better bearings in...instantly better, but it may be yours just need to free up with some miles in them.

You say 'feels sluggish'

When I got my new Fulcrums, I was horrified, they just seemed to slow down every time I stopped pedalling, I'd just quickly roll to a stop, much faster than I expected, the wheels felt dead.
This was after running well run in and free wheels, I suspected it was the new bearings. They will free up, I got impatient and put better bearings in...instantly better, but it may be yours just need to free up with some miles in them.

That just sounds like your bearings were too heavily preloaded, probably when you replaced them you had the effect of setting the preload right when putting the hubs back together. There is nothing wrong with the stock bearings on Fulcrum wheels and certainly not brand new.

BB

Top Bottom