New Bike Arrived

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

faster

Über Member
I hope you get on with this bike and it loses it's sluggish feeling.

I see one of your other bikes is a blue Ribble - this might be the main problem. There's often lots of criticism on here about the Ribble Audax, whether it's about the clearances being a bit tight for mudguards, the ride being uncomfortably stiff or the position being too aggressive. Despite these, or maybe because of these, when set up well they're a really fast bike imho. Your new bike has got a lot to live up to.

I hope you get on with this bike and it loses it's sluggish feeling.
Just a matter of getting used to it, I guess, & the higher front-end

I see one of your other bikes is a blue Ribble - this might be the main problem. There's often lots of criticism on here about the Ribble Audax, whether it's about the clearances being a bit tight for mudguards, the ride being uncomfortably stiff or the position being too aggressive
I like the low position, it suits me fine
Yes, it is a bit tight, if the tyres have picked up grit, sometimes it can be heard on the mudguard bridges
It has clogged up a few times, with road-silt
Ie;
Ribble. 1.JPG

Despite these, or maybe because of these, when set up well they're a really fast bike imho. Your new bike has got a lot to live up to.
I agree, it's quite a decent bike!
With a better frame material (but same size/geometry) it could be far greater
I've ridden mine on rides with a few members of the local Triathlon Club, & not been left behind by the full-carbon/carbon-wheeled/shorts & jersey guys, when I've been on 'blue' & in bib-tights & thermal jacket
It's better than it ought to be on hills too, as I've passed/dropped same riders on those rides

It's a bit of a Ribble family here, as I also have a Gran Fondo (which superceded a Ridley, that's stood motionless in the spare bedroom for 2 years +)

IF, the CGR & CR3 hadn't come out, I would have quite happily have bought their Sportive 365 instead

Going to be its first 'work-ride' today
I've not put lights/reflectors on it yet, so it'll be a later than normal departure for todays 07:30 start
(usually there about an hour before start-time no matter what shift)

The selected/ordered mudguards didn't even have a reflector fitted, which seemed most odd!!

It seems a lot heavier that the 'blue', I may get the luggage scales out this evening, & compare

There's often lots of criticism on here about the Ribble Audax, whether it's about the clearances being a bit tight for mudguards, the ride being uncomfortably stiff or the position being too aggressive.

Compare & contrast
I ought to really do this with same camera, & maybe on a tripod too, but..............

Will endeavour to do so this evening, & amend this

DSCF2858.JPG 12190887_10206881192340617_8390600260077561751_n.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
That just sounds like your bearings were too heavily preloaded, probably when you replaced them you had the effect of setting the preload right when putting the hubs back together. There is nothing wrong with the stock bearings on Fulcrum wheels and certainly not brand new.

BB
My 5s are quite old and don't have the preloaded adjuster on them, just a hollow axle and the locking tubes / nuts either side. I always assumed it was a face to face fit, in other words...just tighten them up but you may be right, perhaps the preloaded is adjusted by specific torque on those tube nuts...perhaps not.
Might do some research now.
Poor show If that's the case that Fulcrum didn't get it right in the first case. That said, theyve been brilliant since.

My 5s are quite old and don't have the preloaded adjuster on them, just a hollow axle and the locking tubes / nuts either side. I always assumed it was a face to face fit, in other words...just tighten them up but you may be right, perhaps the preloaded is adjusted by specific torque on those tube nuts...perhaps not.
Might do some research now.
Poor show If that's the case that Fulcrum didn't get it right in the first case. That said, theyve been brilliant since.
Agreed, not always brilliantly set up but fine wheels nonetheless!

Reactions: gbb
First 'streaming wet' commute home on it today (just had moist/damp, so far)

Actually having brakes that work well was a revelation!
The 'blue' was maintained, & kept up to, but even when that has new brake-blocks, the CGR's discs are far superior
Granted, there is that initial sweeping off of any water on the disc, but the feel/modulation of them makes me happy that I did go for the hydraulic system, instead of cable

Buck

Guru
Is the CGR living up to expectations Still?

I had my eye on a Planet X London Road but I like the CGR more on paper albeit with 105 chainset

Did it come with the silver mudguard or are these yours.. just thinking black would suit it better.

Is the CGR living up to expectations Still?

I had my eye on a Planet X London Road but I like the CGR more on paper albeit with 105 chainset

Did it come with the silver mudguard or are these yours.. just thinking black would suit it better.

Hi Buck

It's still an interesting ride at times, with the higher front end (may have to take the 3rd spacer out, & get a flatter stem)
Despite discussion elsewhere, I still think that the London Road, & CGR are practically the same, just differing colours/decals

Biggest issue is one that I didn't mention earlier; the bars felt odd
With the bars I'd requested, or not bothered to upgrade, (DEDA), I didn't realise, & it wasn't highlighted on the drop-box, that they're measured outer-outer
So, they're really 40cm C-C, I have 42cm on all my other bikes, dating back to the early 90s

I am tempted to strip the Ritchey stem/bars/seatpost off my (unused for several years, & standing in a spare bedroom) Ridley, & swap them over onto the CGR

Mudguards?
Yes, silver was ordered by me (no flap at all on the front)
If the option had been there, I'd have paid extra to have silver stem/bars/seatpin/groupset

It acquitted itself well, on Saturday & Sunday., on T de Y watching trips, & it should be having another ride (but faster this time) with Wakefield Triathlon Club this coming Sunday

Buck

Guru
Thanks Richard. Good point re the handlebar width - can make all the difference especially if you ride more than one bike!

Thanks Richard. Good point re the handlebar width - can make all the difference especially if you ride more than one bike!
Indeed it is, check carefully!"

Another point is the inability to use a frame-fit pump
Well, that's not exactly correct............................ you can, but you'll either lose a bottle-mount, or it'll be at an angle as there's a gusset, where the top-tube meets the head-tube
I'm still carrying a couple of the gas cartridges in my pocket, that I'd normally take on the Gran Fondo

Top Bottom