New bike built. Woohoo!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After collecting bits for the past few months. I finally built up the bike over the past few days. Sorry for more leopard skin chairs, but I'm pleased with myself for building my frist bike from scatch. I like the colour more now its built up with bits of black and the odd dash of red.

Haven't taken it out yet. If nice weather i'll be spending the day tomorrow tweaking the adjustments and set up. :biggrin:

Some tired blurry snapshots......

4297757887_3118d5491c_b.jpg

Test sadlle.....but noone will know when my bum's hiding it.
4298507992_377f9307f8_b.jpg

4297781669_ea348687d8_b.jpg

Bars - Maybe the white computer wasn't my greatest idea.

4298532582_ca8d644af0_b.jpg

4297792961_3568cb4870_b.jpg

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Well done on the build- hope it rides smoothly!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Whoooooooooooooooooo

That Super Record is rubbish....I'll take it off your hands............

PS How did you get on with joining the chain....... ? KMC now do an 11 speed chain with a superlink, so gone is the need for the special campag 11 speed chain tool.

That's one nice bike...very nice indeed.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
fossyant said:
Whoooooooooooooooooo

That Super Record is rubbish....I'll take it off your hands............

PS How did you get on with joining the chain....... ? KMC now do an 11 speed chain with a superlink, so gone is the need for the special campag 11 speed chain tool.

That's one nice bike...very nice indeed.

I'm shocked at how much lighter the bike is than my Ribble....which i thought was VERY light until today :biggrin:

I got on very badly with fitting the chain. I used my standard lifeline chain splitter to put in the pin (only one supplied with the chain). This pin decided to break before i'd even started pushing it through, so i had to go on a hunt around bike shops to find spares. Second time round i realised that the pin went in easier from the other side of the chain, so i flipped the chain around and in it went (although my crappy lifleine chain splitter is destroyed as it was made of cheese).

I have the park tools chainpin "peener", so that bit was pretty straightforward.

If I'd known the KMC was becoming available, i'd have definitely gone for that instead! Are you sure? I read stories about it's existance, but never founf one available.

fossyant said:
PS is that a compact ?

Dribble...

Dribble....

Yup. Compact

bad boy

Über Member
That is awesome mate, you should be well pleased with yourself.

Its a great looking bike, I hope you enjoy ridding it as much as I would !!.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Garz said:
Great build there tollers mate, seat angle looks acute on top pic though..

Yup, you're right, but set-up is tomorrow. I need to shorten the seatpost too as im a midget. Last bike was a 47cm which is a wee bit too small, this is a 52cm, so i need to get the post down. Then i'm going to be playing with adjusting the mechs. The adjustment felt OK on the workstand, but im sure reality will pose it's own challenges!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
beautiful, not sure that seat is at a comfortable angle though :biggrin:

Garz

Squat Member
Sounds like your the perfect contact for advice Tollers. Im a short-ass too (5ft6"), by building the bike this way did you save any compared to a complete bike of similar parts?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK psychology as to why Scott and Campag SR ? - I like to know this stuff, it is really interesting......... (PS SR is the best group set at the moment !!)

My reasoning for my Herety was.........

Frame - same price as a Colnago, same italian tubes..... although custom fit, but..... with an Italian Frame, no way could I fit Shimano...... (even in the late 80's....)

Dura Ace 7400 was leagues ahead of C-Record then.......so got the local bike built out of the best tubes....and didn't feel dirty with DA on it.........

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
fossyant said:
OK psychology as to why Scott and Campag SR ? - I like to know this stuff, it is really interesting......... (PS SR is the best group set at the moment !!)

My reasoning for my Herety was.........

Frame - same price as a Colnago, same italian tubes..... although custom fit, but..... with an Italian Frame, no way could I fit Shimano...... (even in the late 80's....)

Dura Ace 7400 was leagues ahead of C-Record then.......so got the local bike built out of the best tubes....and didn't feel dirty with DA on it.........

Frame was a bargain. I really wanted a Wilier Izoard frame, but they are never really discounted much, even in sales. The Scott frames are unbelievably light so, when i came accross it, i couldn't resist. I really wanted to keep it 100% Italian, and must admit i'm a little upset to have anything american on it, let alone the frame! Ah well, the other bike is still a thoroughbred ;)

As for SR......I "only" wanted Record, but looking around for January deals I was able to find some bargains. Every component from the gruppo was ordered separately and came in about the same best price i'd seen for Record. The perfect excuse to bling it up. I was also a bit sad that i hadn't got anything fun at xmas, so wanted to treat myself.

If I could have got DI2 at this price, i would have made the switch, but thats about double the cost.

AlanW said:
Nice looking bike, but not to sure about those leopard skin seat covers though!!

What bar tape have you used just out of interest?

Fizik, with Botranger gel things on the tops and drops.

Garz said:
Sounds like your the perfect contact for advice Tollers. Im a short-ass too (5ft6"), by building the bike this way did you save any compared to a complete bike of similar parts?

Well, i only ordered parts when i saw a bargain. It's hard to say if i saved money, especially as there have been lots of 2009 bargain bikes for the last month.

Ultimately, yes. I think i did save money. The bottom line for the entire build was still scandalous (around 2k), but i can't think of any bike on sale at the moment that has a similar level spec for less than 2.5k.

More important. She's mine.....my own sweat, tears and frustration (no blood though entire process :smile:

p.s This bike is WAY to good for me......and has almost bankrupt me, but......as the loreal ads say...."i'm worth it"

Garz

Squat Member
Tollers said:
More important. She's mine.....my own sweat, tears and frustration (no blood though entire process ;)

Thats the best part of it though, you put it together and theres none out there like it as you picked the components to the tee. Congrats mate it looks ace!

Top Bottom