New bike buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gibbo9

Veteran
Hi All,
Where to start???

I am in the market for a new bike and living in Taiwan you would think it would be pretty easy to get one built to spec, that's proving not the case at present due to equipment shortages, especially Di2 sets.

Spec I am looking for:
Comfort over speed for endurance but stiff enough to challenge the mountains out here.
Di2 (electronic shifters, Di2 are in very short supply at present and I have heard some horror stories in regards to SRAM and Campagnello)
Tubeless tyres
The rest of the bike make up I will take advice from a LBS and will also build to fit to look good whilst being practical.

Anyway I have been looking at the Colnago V3RS and can get a build out here for the equivalent of around 8000 GBP (Now I think that's pretty steep)

Another shop have since offered me a local manufacturer bike (most big brands are built here as you all know) a Trigon HC01-DR (picture below). It's limited edition frame 1 of 199 made and he has offered to build it to the following spec:
Shimano Ultegra disc brakes group set (he will swap this over to Di2 when he gets stock, at extra cost)
Fulcrum Racing Zero wheel set
Continental GP5000 tubeless tyres
BLKTEC full carbon bar and stem

He is offering all of the above, with fit, for 4000 GBP. It is a nice looking bike (which is important) and I ride every single day if I can so whatever bike I go for it will get very well used.
1611284689720.png

Similar build bike

1611284756657.png

The actual frameset being proposed

I guess my question is two fold. Anyone know anything about Trigon? I have done some research but there is not much info or reviews out there that I can see.

Should I go for the trigon with mechanical fit and wait for the Di2 or just pay the extra and buy the Colnago?

All help very much appreciated.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hard to advise what you should do when you are so far away
If the one you want is not available why not buy second hand till the one you want is available

cyclintom

I've set up and ride four different Di2 bikes now and while they certainly are really nice shifting, you have so many damn gears that all you spend your time doing is shifting. I was quite happy with 9 speeds until you couldn't get parts anymore, So I went to 10 speeds and I probably use 5 gears total out of the 20 available. If you are a pro racer I imagine that there are good reasons for all of those gears, but it you're a sports rider, 22 or now 24 cogs is just ridiculous. So when I picked up a Look KG585 frame I built it up with an old manual 10 speed Campy group and it came in at 16 lbs even. Since I do a lot of climbing I figured the lighter the better. Wrong. The difference in an older steel bike and the Look is a climbing speed of from 5-6 mph which makes it so slow that you can't even tell the difference between the light bike and the heavy in the average loop speed.

So my advice would be to be more practical and match the bike you buy to your pocketbook and not your desire to have the latest and greatest

Top Bottom