New bike (Canyon or others)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pier

HI everyone,
Recently I'm thinking more and more to upgrade my weekend bike (a Boardman Team Carbon). I was pretty sold on the Canyon Endurace SL DISC 9.0. However reading about their service I'm thinking if something else (LBS or UK based online shop) would be better.
I really would like a disc bike, not too heavy but pretty stiff, good components and honestly I'd like something different than the usual Cannondale or Specialized or the usual names (which seems to be what the local LBS offer).

Any advice of a possible alternative?
Or if you have feedback about Canyon post sales services (just in case of warranty...I like to do all the mechanical maintenance myself)?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Canyon have a super sale on atm.
Depends on you budget

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Lovely looking machine, rare on UK roads but not British.
https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-cdx-4400-disc/aid:821992

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Budget?

Have a look at a bunch of the higher end retailers like Sigma, Primera, GB Cycles, Pearsons, etc. All an easy daytrip from Fleet

Big budget, look at Condor...
Titanium, look at Enigma, lovely machines...and quite different

Personally I wouldn't buy mail order if spending over £500 but that's me

OP
OP
Pier

Pier

Budget is around 2K, but obviously I won't be sad if I find it for less :tongue:
I'm now building a list of possible bikes and then see when I get the best deal. I don't think I'll buy it before end of August/September.
The rose was indeed something I was considering a lot...but I don't seem to find many reviews, especially for the newer model.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I understand Canyon have sorted out their customer service issues, many bikes available either from stock or with short lead times. If I were in the market for a disc road bike with your budget then I would choose the Endurace over the Rose I mentioned earlier.

Drago

Legendary Member
To exclude the big names is also to exclude some of the best machines in that arena, although Canyon are probably right there with the American names in making identikit bikes. That's like going to buy a mid sized hatchback, but excluding the Golf and Focus, leaving you with the scraps instead.

The likes of Spesh and Giant, and to a lesser degree Scott, 'dale and Felt, are masters at extracting the best performance out of each price band, and is why they are so ubiquitous.

Something like the Giant Advanced Pro 2 is superb, and unlike many rival brands - like Canyon - you can get a test ride, although its is of course your money.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pier

Pier

Thanks everyone.
I'm not excluding anything, especially if a LBS does a very good offer (I still don't know what to do with the old bike... Do LBS take in the old lne?).
But I like to take a bit of risk with some not so known brands (budget permitting).
The Rose though... Looks very interesting.

Thanks everyone.
I'm not excluding anything, especially if a LBS does a very good offer (I still don't know what to do with the old bike... Do LBS take in the old lne?).
But I like to take a bit of risk with some not so known brands (budget permitting).
The Rose though... Looks very interesting.

I have long since grown out of "taking a risk" on spending serious money on a bike I can't sit on first, let alone try riding.

As an illustration, a pig-headed colleague of mine has recently bought a bike online from one of the brands mentioned above, wouldn't even compare the geometry charts against the bike he already has, and ended up spending more than he needed to as the size he should have bought was on offer while the size he did buy wasn't... he's now the proud owner of a great bit of German metal that is too small for him and is already struggling to elongate the bike and talking about spending another hundred on a fitting. I have told him from the window shopping stage that he should either buy the next size up or not buy something he can't test out. Deaf ears. A costly mistake.

If you're going to be spending "good bike" amounts of money, then every option is going to be good, and things like "oooh it's a bit different" are meaningless - the thing is going to be composed of shaped tubes of whichever material you choose, in the configuration of a bike, the only real differentiation being the paintjob. So it's an aesthetic choice. The componentry will be about the same across models and not provided by the brand itself anyway in most cases.

BB

rivers

How far can I go?
I just purchased a Sublime Zoku from Sublime Cycles based in Bristol. They make complete custom bikes (including colour), although mine was custom built for someone who decided she didn't want it. Check out their FB page (as their website hasn't been updated in ages), and ping them a message. I've only had mine for a few days, but I've done around 100 miles on it so far and it's absolutely cracking.

OP
OP
Pier

Pier

If you're going to be spending "good bike" amounts of money, then every option is going to be good, and things like "oooh it's a bit different" are meaningless - the thing is going to be composed of shaped tubes of whichever material you choose, in the configuration of a bike, the only real differentiation being the paintjob. So it's an aesthetic choice. The componentry will be about the same across models and not provided by the brand itself anyway in most cases.

BB
True that. And as I said, I'm not excluding anything...in fact I just saw now a very very tempting offer on a Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc.
Reviews are really good.

I just purchased a Sublime Zoku from Sublime Cycles based in Bristol. They make complete custom bikes (including colour), although mine was custom built for someone who decided she didn't want it. Check out their FB page (as their website hasn't been updated in ages), and ping them a message. I've only had mine for a few days, but I've done around 100 miles on it so far and it's absolutely cracking.

Thanks for the Sublime option...the Zoku looks interesting...I don't have facebook...but I'll try to reach out to them.

I guess at the end I will end up with a list of a dozen bikes :laugh:

mynydd

Veteran
I bought a canyon endurace sl disk 9.0, back in February.
It arrived in less than two weeks, and has been superb....... I love it. Incredibly comfortable, fast and fun to ride

Top Bottom