New bike, chain maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oli_ramsay

I just got a new Carrera Subway 1 from Halfords and it wasn't lubricated at all when I got it. I sprayed it with finish line dry teflon lube (which says all riding conditions on bottle). Do I need any other type of lube like grease? Is it better to use different lube in wet/dry conditions?

Also should I clean my chain if it has mud on it? And how?

thanks guys ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just wipe off mud with a rag, re-apply lube, and spin cranks, and wipe off excess lube.

Better still buy the dropper bottles and just put one drop on the centre rollers (works out loads cheaper, and less mess).

02GF74

Über Member
every chain I have ever seen has been lubricated - I cannot imagine this not being the case from any chain from the factory - the grease will be in the links on the pins not all over it - which is where it needs to be.

slapping oil/lubricant willy nilly over a chain deols more harm than good as unless it is in a sealed chain case, the excess lube will hold drit/grit/small children and acts as grinding past to wear out the chain and rings.

smarttim24

Do not know if this helps the way i clean my chain is once a month wipe the again with either a rag with degreaser on or i know some use baby wipes apply lub i use Fenwicks all condition lub by just running the again backwards body applying a drop on the barrel of the again link then running the chain through the gears.Then you will need to wipe me the excess so that the chain will not pick up as much dirt hope this helps.

smarttim24

Do not know if this helps the way i clean my chain is once a month wipe the again with either a rag with degreaser on or i know some use baby wipes apply lub i use Fenwicks all condition lub by just running the again backwards body applying a drop on the barrel of the again link then running the chain through the gears.Then you will need to wipe me the excess so that the chain will not pick up as much dirt hope this helps.

Top Bottom