New bike, cracked paint at seatpost clamp slot, thoughts please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
In short, new bike arrived today; steel frame, not cheap, brand and supplier not disclosed since this is an ongoing issue.

Putting the bike together I found crack in the paint at the bottom of the slot in the seatpost. I think it's just the paint and not a crack in the frame itself (I can't see anything on the other side from inside the frame), but needless to say I'm not at all happy about it. Cosmetically it's crap while at best could invite water ingress and corrosion, at worst be the beginning of a cracked frame.

IMG_0012.JPG

The bore of the seatpost tube in the frame also seems a bit oversize at around 27.35mm versus the 27.15mm (27.2mm nominal) seatpost diameter; my guess is that the frame material is OK but the paint has failed due to the additional stress in that area caused by tightening the seatpost clamp against the sloppy fit at the frame / post interface.

The supplier has been made aware and I'm waiting for their response. Meanwhile I'm looking to distract myself while the bike sits in its sorry half-built state in front of me, when I should have been out riding it.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thinks about this.. I'm loath to send it back with all the hassle and uncertainly that entails, but am not prepared to accept it as it is. Has anyone else suffered any similar issues?

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As loathe as you are to send it back, bite the bullet and do just that. You'll never be happy with it even if it doesn't get any worse.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Cheers guys - I really appreciate the support as I've been agonising over this purchase for months and always seem to get stuck with stuff that's not right; which only serves to ramp up my buyer anxiety. Getting something new should be a pleasant experience but I absolutely despite the process of acquiring new toys :sad:

I've checked and the supplier offer neither touch-up paint for this model nor any suggestion as to a suitable alternative. I could potentially bleed some lacquer or similar in there to seal it I suppose should the shop offer a partial refund; however I suspect that our respective ideas of what would be an appropriate amount of money back would be worlds apart.

Looks like I'll be spending another good chunk of time packing it up for return then... a real shame as the rest of the bike is fine and I really want to get out and ride it.

I'm feeling pretty bloody low about the whole thing; I think a day away from bikes is probably a good idea so I might seek some peace in the woods... along with everyone else out for their daily dose of exercise no doubt :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was in a similar position with a brand new bike I bought. It was a fair old amount of money, a bike for life if you will.
I wasnt happy with the frame. The seller tried their best to get me to not return it but I stuck to my guns and got a replacement of which I was more then happy with.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I was in a similar position with a brand new bike I bought. It was a fair old amount of money, a bike for life if you will.
I wasnt happy with the frame. The seller tried their best to get me to not return it but I stuck to my guns and got a replacement of which I was more then happy with.
Thanks - that's pretty much my situation too.

This is a big spend for me and I want this bike to last me "forever" - one of the many motivating factors being that I find big-ticket purchases like this so bloody stressful.

I very much appreciate your reassurance and hopefully it'll come right in the end... I'm just so sick of everything being such a struggle; getting a new bike should be a pleasant experience ffs!

Think yourself lucky - my Kuota hasn't been right since day 1 - other than blame my saddle choice - and my camera - Kouta did very little.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thanks - that's pretty much my situation too.

This is a big spend for me and I want this bike to last me "forever" - one of the many motivating factors being that I find big-ticket purchases like this so bloody stressful.

I very much appreciate your reassurance and hopefully it'll come right in the end... I'm just so sick of everything being such a struggle; getting a new bike should be a pleasant experience ffs!
However much of a hassle sending it back will be you should only be looking at a short time frame. There is a long summer coming up and plenty of time to enjoy riding something that is as it should be rather that grudgingly plodding round on a bike with a fault that is constantly negging at you.

I understand how P'd off you must because I would feel the same, but look on it as short term pain for long term gain.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
What a disappointment. That frame won't last forever especially with a badly-fitting seat post slopping around in the tube. The crack will propagate.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Could be my eyes but it looks like there is a crack a few mm away from the main one also. I wouldn't be happy about that on a new purchase.

I think you’re correct, much finer but just to the left of the obvious one. Get the frame sent back for exchange, its an obvious flaw somewhere in the tube.

Put it back in the box and send it back. These things happen. If it's any consolation, these things happen pretty rarely in the bicycle industry - our manufacturing and supply line is pretty good at quality assurance and keeping things safe in shipping. The bathroom industry has a gobsmacking 15% to 20% warranty returns rate.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Of course you are upset. Pack it and send it back as not being fit for purpose. And console yourself that there are more important things to worry about. A year down the line, when you’ve chipped the chain stay or scratched the crossbar, this will all be a distant memory. It is after all, only a bike.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You could do with a comment from @Yellow Saddle

When all's said, when I bought my titanium Kona Hei Hei I justified the cost by saying it was "a bike for life" which it would have been if the bloody bike industry hadn't invented suspension forks and disc brakes!

Top Bottom