New bike 'creaking'.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mille

Hi all,

My new Giant Dash has started to creak whilst pedaling. It's worse when you are putting power through the pedal whilst pulling on the bars.

Is it likely to be the crank rather than something serious like the frame twisting do you think?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
+1.

The problem is that creaks and clicks on bikes tend to travel along the metalwork and usually only occur when you are riding both of which makes it hard to pinpoint the exact cause.

If you can't get the bike back to the shop then it's a matter of working through the likeliest causes first.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If it's new the shop should sort it out. Creaks when pedalling can originate from the saddle, seatpost, cranks, bottom bracket, pedals, handlebars/ stem- they can be tricky to track down.

Howard

A relatively simple one to check: does the creak occur when you are off the saddle? If not, it's probably your seatpost needing tightening or greasing.

ChrisKH

Guru
palinurus said:
If it's new the shop should sort it out. Creaks when pedalling can originate from the saddle, seatpost, cranks, bottom bracket, pedals, handlebars/ stem- they can be tricky to track down.

Or maybe it's just you creaking?!

OP
OP
M

Mille

Howard said:
A relatively simple one to check: does the creak occur when you are off the saddle? If not, it's probably your seatpost needing tightening or greasing.

What are you trying to say??

:smile:

Creaks even more when out of the saddle going uphill as the extra pressure makes it worse.

OP
OP
M

Mille

Thanks for your replies guys.

Took it back to the LBS and he has taken off the crank and done a bit of fiddling and it seems ok for now.

He also adjusted the gears as they were all over the place, changing about six at a time which wasn't good.

I'll have to see on my next ride whether that has done the trick.

:smile:

OP
OP
M

Mille

moolarb said:

Very comprehensive :smile:

e-rider

crappy member
Clearly the gears needed adjusting. It could have been all kinds of things but with a new bike and an in-experienced rider 9 times out of 10 it's just the gears.

Top Bottom