New Bike Cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

canyon80

Regular
So next question:

what is the general regularity of buying a new bike?

many current steed is almost 2 years old, I know the old rule of bikes +1 etc,

but in all seriousness how often do we get an entirely new bike?
(Very happy with my current one but also yes my head has been turned recently in a couple of shops)

DRM

Guru
when you think you can get away with it basically.

Slick

Guru
Nah, too expensive now. I don't think I'll be adding to my collection for at least another 12 months.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When you finally overcome the "But I can't really justify it, what I've got is perfectly good enough and it would be foolish" syndrome.

This is done by switching your brain off, getting your bank or credit card out and while in a state of suspended animation pressing "Buy it now".

Works every time.

Buck

Guru
When the amount spent on N+1 can be accepted and won’t lead to a “wish I’d not spent that much” moment.

The sweet spot is the day before you say to yourself that you should have ordered that bike as its now gone up in price or is now out of stock.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My mountain bike was bought new by me in 1996, still going strong and kicking ass.
Commuter is nearly 2 yrs old but replaced it's predecessor due to a cracked frame after 8 yrs and nearly 20,000 miles.
Best bike was bought in 2016 and replaced like for like by a motorist's insurance co after an RTA in 2018 and this one should be around for a long time yet.
Basically, what I am saying is, ride them until they die.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Of the current 4 I have:
The Trek hybrid was bought 11 years ago when I was last bike-less.
The Giant road bike was bought about 6 years ago when I wanted to go faster / do a sportive.
The Giant hybrid was bought 4 years ago just because it was shiny, lighter and more modern than the Trek, and a steal.
The Genesis tourer was bought last year, I had a grand to burn and just wanted a steel tourer because I'm old.

I don't get rid of bikes.

I'm already considering a Pashley just because... I reckon I'm less than a year off justifying it. To myself at least.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
what is the general regularity of buying a new bike?
many current steed is almost 2 years old, I know the old rule of bikes +1 etc,

but in all seriousness how often do we get an entirely new bike?

I bought my first brand new bike in 1980/81, and then I bought a replacement in 1984/85, because I had outgrown the first one. All the bikes I have acquired since then have been secondhand. I have no intention whatsoever of ever buying another new one. Any future purchases will be secondhand, and they will also be steel frames.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
best bike 2017
winter bike 2012
rat bike built of of parts
new bike this year although i wish i hadnt tbh but with mrs ck getting her driving license back i wanted an all year commuter with discs

C R

Guru
I only have two bikes. The lump of steel flat bar and a triban rc500.

I bought the flat bar in 1999, nth hand from a Chinese student who was going back to China for the princely sum of £45. I fixed it up a couple of years ago, and I expect it might outlast me.

As I increased my riding and fitness, the bike started to become a limiting factor, so bought the Triban in March for outings, keeping the flatbar for commuting. Barring any catastrophic event, I don't expect I will be buying another bike any time soon.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve bought one bike this year and sold 3
Current bikes =4
Carbon bought 2011 (had a groupset upgrade in 2015)
Steel #1 built 2014
Ti bought in 2018
Steel #2 bought April 2020

no plans to add anymore but you never (especially as I’m laid up and boredom surfing) :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I bought my Ti Van Nick in 2012. I will sell it on the 48th of Julember. ie, never. I never get bored of riding it.
My Ti PX commuter I bought a couple of years back. That may get an upgrade in a couple of years time, maybe.

That's the beauty of Ti. They just don't age.

boydj

Legendary Member
My last purchase was from e-bay a couple of years ago, because I wanted a Campag-equipped bike. Now, I do spend a bit of time now and then looking at what's on the market, and there are lots of fanciable bikes out there, and dreaming a bit. But then I ask myself if, once I'm out on the road, would I really notice much difference over my 'good' bike which has been upgraded regularly since it was bought a few years ago and fits me really well.

Anyway, another year or three and I'll be needing some electrical assistance the way my power has been declining recently.

Top Bottom