New Bike Day Tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I would like to stress that I am no longer a proper "Cyclist", but a "Casual" cyclist who wants to jump on a bike in street clothes and poodle along, possibly with a fag dangling from his mouth. I haven't ridden for over a year which hasn't done my arthritic left knee any good, a bike ride always brought it back to normal for a while. Anyway, cheap and cheerful (£450 :ohmy:), plastic pedals replaced by alloys with toeclips and straps, reflectors and dork disk removed before collection. Never thought I'd sink to an MTB, but road bikes are a bit twitchy for me now and I need something soft and relaxing to ride.

Cannondale Trail 8 -

raggydoll

Über Member
I like it!
Stealthy! :okay:

I love cruising around on a mountain bike. The tyres just soak up the bumps and it's just fun.

The crank and rear cogs seem a good size too.
36/22 chainrings and 11-34 at the back.

Sounds ideal to me!

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I like it!
Stealthy! :okay:

I love cruising around on a mountain bike. The tyres just soak up the bumps and it's just fun.

The crank and rear cogs seem a good size too.
36/22 chainrings and 11-34 at the back.

Sounds ideal to me!
Low gears were a priority, it's hilly here and my "Angel of the mountains" days are long gone.

raggydoll

Über Member
The lower the better in my book!
I have a bike with a 22 chainring and a 32 cassette....and I use that combo....regularly!^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've more or less ditched my road bikes, even my gravel bike doesn't get much if a look in now. I recently bought a five year old Cube here for about eighty quid. Replaced the tyres with a pair from Decathlon and it's my main go to now. First time with hydraulic discs for me too.
Many of the roads are poor and a lot are just rough tracks so the Cube is more comfortable now I'm getting older.

GuyBoden

Guru
Nice and functional, I've seen a few teenage delinquent looking gangs riding that sort of bike, so be careful you don't start wearing a hoodie and riding with no hands.^_^

DRM

Guru
They’re good bikes , I’ve got a 2012 Cannondale Trail SL3, it’s a great bike for trails, MTB Centre & general mixed rides, I think you’ll love it

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
First time out today (Rained yesterday) and loved it. It's over a year since I last rode a bike so I only went a short distance to try it out, but I came back with a smile on my face. At 68 I'm a bit to old to be bouncing around on a stiff framed, short wheelbase road bike and this felt nice and relaxed, the fat tyres and front suspension do a good job of ironing out the bumps. Just need the saddle moved back a bit on the rails and I'll have a perfect fit.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you take my advice Joe you’ll lock the fork out and regulate your tyre pressures to get a comfy ride. This applies to the road when the suspension will take the energy out of your efforts and you won’t get the strange ‘rowing’ effect you get when pressing on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom