New Bike Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
So today I finally joined the ranks of the single speed cyclist.

IMG_20150220_140235.jpg

I went for a short 1.4 mile ride just to make sure everything was ok. It might be cheap but it's a pleasure to ride. There are better bikes out there but it'll do just fine for what I want. Those tyres will be going come payday though!

I had some more good news today. My company is moving offices. In a few weeks my commute will go down to 4 miles. The new office is on the other side of town so it'll be cycle paths most of the way and much flatter so I'll be able to commute on my single speed.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Very nice looking bike! That's a bit of a result on bike to work too!
I'm sure you'll have plenty of enjoyment out of that and the cycling to work on it!

What tyres are you replacing with?

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Very nice looking bike! That's a bit of a result on bike to work too!
I'm sure you'll have plenty of enjoyment out of that and the cycling to work on it!

What tyres are you replacing with?
I must admit, it is better and more fun riding single speed than I thought it would be.

I'm thinking about Duranos or Gatorskins. It has 25mm tyres at the moment but I might go 28mm due to some of the paths around here. I would put Marathons on but my 32mm M+s will be back on my hybrid soon so that can act as a backup in case of fairy visits.

I'm going to redo the bar tape too. I need to free up some space for lights.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
My legs ache. I don't know whether that's something to do with riding a single speed or because I'd already ridden 12 miles today and it's Friday.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
What gear ratio are you running? I'm guessing you geared it according to the normal gear you ride on your normal ride, 25-28 sounds a good choice, I'm thinking of investing in some 25s for my fixed, the 23s I've got now are okay but I could do with a bit of padding too.. Gators are good, I have a set on my racer! Practically bulletproof :P

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
The gear ratio is 44x16 which luckily is just right for my legs. I'm going to try the route to town tomorrow or Monday and see how the 25s feel. I bet I end up with 28s after that!

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
There's a 5% incline near where I work. That's nothing to a lot of people here and I can get up it easily on my geared bikes but I won't tackle it on my SS for a little while yet.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Nice cruising gear! Should get you up that 5% too! You'll notice a lot less waste energy too! 28s are probably less likely to go flat, a tad more comfort over bumps too :P

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I took my SS bike for a spin to the shops today (just under 4 miles). Not only did I get up the hill on the way back I got a personal best on Strava for that hill. The only time I've come close to that time is on my road bike. That just goes to show, if the gears aren't there you just get on with it.

mythste

Veteran
I switched from 25s to 28s on my Charge Plug SS. Noticeable increase in comfort, I'm actually faster now as well. Fitness > tyre width!

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
The bike was pretty comfortable with 25s on the cycle paths to the shops. I'm definitely leaning towards 28s though.

Interestingly the 25s on my SS look thinner than the 23s on my road bike. The 25s are cheap Kendas and the 23s are Vittoria Rubino Pros.

apb

Veteran
My company is moving offices. In a few weeks my commute will go down to 4 miles. The new office is on the other side of town so it'll be cycle paths most of the way and much flatter so I'll be able to commute on my single speed.

i don't see that as good news ;)

Top Bottom