New bike day :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why are you trying to ride up a cliff face? :-) All joking apart, that looks pretty steep!
Ha ha - I asked myself that question when I nearly fell over! The LH bend at the top is absolutely horrid so you have to ride well over to the right to get up round it, and just hope that nobody comes the other way and forces you back to the left...

Lots of nasty steep stuff like that round here!

Thanks. It is indeed the dreaded BB30, so it'll break/get noisy/whatever it feels like doing to cause a problem at some point no doubt.
Ah, that's one good thing about my old CAAD5 - it has a square taper BB!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Why are you trying to ride up a cliff face? :-)

Plenty of participants on @ColinJ's forum rides have asked the same question.

It is indeed the dreaded BB30,

As far as I can gather, the problem with the Cannondale press fit bottom brackets is essentially limited to them creaking, often intermittently.

They don't fail as such, so while the creak may be annoying, the bracket is not going to leave you stranded on a ride.

Also worth pointing out there are lots of BB30 owners who have not had any problems or who are not bothered by the occasional creak.

OP
OP
SGG on a bike

SGG on a bike

Ha ha - I asked myself that question when I nearly fell over! The LH bend at the top is absolutely horrid so you have to ride well over to the right to get up round it, and just hope that nobody comes the other way and forces you back to the left...

View attachment 546602

Lots of nasty steep stuff like that round here!

Ah, that's one good thing about my old CAAD5 - it has a square taper BB!

That photo reminds me of some of the back roads in the Eifel region of Germany. Not cycled there, but toured extensively on motorcycles And it’s was hard enough on them!

Mrs M

Guru
Following on the the Geo question thread, I picked up this little beauty today. Just got back from my maiden voyage of 11 miles in windy conditions and overall very pleased. Should have done it sooner.

View attachment 546553

Apologies to the purists, but since the picture was taken I've changed the pedals for SPD, fitted my Brooks B17 and Carradice bag.
Ver smart, love white bikes :becool:
Enjoy :bicycle:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Looks good, now a another photo with its new setup. There is nothing wrong with spd pedals, brooks saddles , and carradice bags . they have stood the test of time. Oh and I still prefer square taper bottom brackets. Fit and forget.

OP
OP
SGG on a bike

SGG on a bike

Looks good, now a another photo with its new setup. There is nothing wrong with spd pedals, brooks saddles , and carradice bags . they have stood the test of time. Oh and I still prefer square taper bottom brackets. Fit and forget.

Here you go...My "normal" riding trim. The Carradice gets swapped from bike to bike as required. Totally agree about square taper BBs. Shimano UN55 for the win every time. All the incremental gains from weight loss make a difference for TDF riders and the like, but for mere mortals that have to carry stuff and don't ride particularly fast the reliability is more useful.

Top Bottom