New bike day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought a road bike yesterday,well new to me, anyway it's a Eastway R 3.0.
It is about 10 years old.
I would like to but Gravel tyres there is plenty of clearance.
What would be the best ?
Use will be for commuting and I go down gravely surfaces
Thanks in advance

vickster

Legendary Member
I like the Schwalbe G-One all around gravels, I have in a 35mm on my winter bike
eg https://www.merlincycles.com/schwal...aceguard-folding-gravel-tyre-700c-100498.html

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For cheap (£19.99) Decathlon's Gravel Lite in 38c is pretty good, and they roll well on tarmac. If commuting, you ideally need guards, so will need to take this into consideration, unless you are OK getting covered in spray and mud.

Sharky

Guru
Are you using rim brakes?
Apart from frame clearance, you also need to consider if the tyres will slip through the brake calipers easily. You may have to deflate the tyres each time you remove a wheel. Even if you deflate and open up the brake caliper, you might find it difficult getting through.

I found it impossible with a 30mm snow tyre, but on this, the rubber was not very flexible.

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_20230814_095903_192.jpg
    IMG_20230814_095903_192.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 43

Slick

Guru
Here you go

Nice looking machine. :okay:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
When launched Eastway produced some decent bikes although they were subsumed into the Wiggle stable and the brand has since disappeared. Mine was a lower-level Eastway R 4.0 which was used as a commuter bike. It wouldn't take more than 28mm tyres though.

It's probably still floating about CC as was sold to a forum member.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Nice looking bike👍

You may not get much larger volume gravel tyres on that bike.

Post a pic of the gap between the underside of your brakes and the top of your current tyres.

You may also need to consider the amount of space near the bottom bracket.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No chance a gravel tyre will fit, you may get a 28c in there at a maximum, but nothing gravel related as they tend to be taller with the knobbles. etc

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
Here you go
Nice looking bike👍

You may not get much larger volume gravel tyres on that bike.

Post a pic of the gap between the underside of your brakes and the top of your current tyres.

You may also need to consider the amount of space near the bottom bracket.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1692108853384.jpg
    FB_IMG_1692108853384.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
Are you using rim brakes?
Apart from frame clearance, you also need to consider if the tyres will slip through the brake calipers easily. You may have to deflate the tyres each time you remove a wheel. Even if you deflate and open up the brake caliper, you might find it difficult getting through.

I found it impossible with a 30mm snow tyre, but on this, the rubber was not very flexible.

Yes rim brakes

Top Bottom