New Bike Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
IMG_20231031_152228_805.jpg

Now got it dirty.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Is there anything better than a New Bike Day?

There is always that difficult bit setting it up, getting the saddle height and the handlebar angle correct. The frame is XL. I could have managed with an L, but XL fits me fine. So my reach is a bit longer than my other bike, but also not as twitchy, which means I am less confident for the moment. Tyres could do with more pressure. Brakes are hydraulic discs Vs rim brakes, so very grabby compared to what I am familiar with. Something else to get used to.

But great to have a brighter and more colourful bike, and not just in keeping @vickster happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Why does a less twitchy bike make you feel less confident? I would have thought that you would feel the opposite!

I like look of it.

Strange, isn't it! I think it is because I know how the twitchy bike will react, and that I can catch it, mostly through instinct. I don't know how the new bike will react when it looses grip momentarily, and worried I will overreact and lose control.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

How does your wife feel about her wedding anniversary present? She'll be disappointed you had to take it apart so early.

Sadly she can't join me on bike rides. Even very short ones.

Fortunately I have a son who is a great companion at the moment. We are a similar pace and stamina, although he doesn't give me any draft when I need a rest.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Get him told to do his time at the front!

He does, but he's only 10, and leaves a very small hole.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Yes I'm sure that when I bought my PX the advertizing blurb said no pedals so me wanting to ride as soon as had received it I ordered some double sided SPD's prior to receiving bike, and just look at that carefully wrapped frame must have cost more than mine. Though mine was reduced. I never had mine wrapped up like that I wish you well on it. There will be nowhere in Brum and Yam Yam land (The Black Country) you'll not venture to. All the very best on it.

Tempted to head down to Somerset on it. Not yet, though!

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

If you do There are plenty of Quiet roads and flat too, plus hills being the Mendips or the Quantocks.
Smashing bike though. Hope you get on ok with it.

Was there for summer holidays. We were based just outside Bridgewater (Spraxton) on the edge of the Quantocks. Lots of riding, including Taunton, Ilminster, Langport and Glastonbury. Kept mostly to the flats, but definitely caught the edge of the Quantocks on one ride.

Top Bottom