New Bike Delivered Damaged - How?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gav2000

Guru
I've just had a new bike delivered. I spent about 30 minutes unwrapping it before discovering that the fork steerer tube was broken within the head tube if the frame.

This isn't a minor chip this is totally smashed. I have contacted the company to alert them to this and I'm sure the bike will be returned to them next week but I'm really keen to know if anyone has seen damage like this before? What could have happened to this bike to snap the fork steerer tube in this way?

Thanks for any suggestions.

IMG_20240510_131038.jpg

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It doesnt matter does it? all that matters is arranging for the bike to be returned at no cost to yourself and a suitable replacement or refund given.
It must be very disappointing but the company will sort it out. They have to legally.

OP
OP
Gav2000

Gav2000

Guru
It doesnt matter does it? all that matters is arranging for the bike to be returned at no cost to yourself and a suitable replacement or refund given.
It must be very disappointing but the company will sort it out. They have to legally.

I'm interested to know if the company boxed the bike up in this condition or if it was damaged in transit?

I'm also wondering whether to get a replacement of the same bike or to look elsewhere? If it was sent out in this condition then I think I'll look elsewhere!

Reynard

Guru
I would suggest a defect in the lay-up during the manufacturing process, that has then been subjected to quite a hefty bending force at some point. To snap a tubular section of CFRP like that takes quite a bit of doing.

To me, it would point to someone in idiot mode that's done something they shouldn't have with it - assembly most likely given the additional pattern of damage below the failure - rather than it being crunched in transit. It's almost as if someone didn't put it in straight, and then had to force it to either a) straighten it or b) get it out and try again. If it was damaged in transit, I'd have expected the failure to have occurred above the level of the head tube, and not inside it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As @Reynard says it would take some force to crush that tube.
I'd suggest it could be a deliberate act by a disgruntled employee. Anyone fitting it would know what they were doing and it would be discovered by the customer. It's definitely deliberate.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What brand/model of bike is this?

I know we all believe carbon frames to be fragile creatures, but the steerer tube is usually tough beyond expectation.

Top Bottom