New bike - first ride, first moton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leggy

I've been lurking for a while, gathering information before I bought my first new bike to start commuting, so I thought I'd tell you all how it went. Test ride - check. Informative shop owner - check. Laying down the money for a nice hybrid - check. Ride it home - check. I could take the back streets down to a pleasant cycle path along a creek almost all the way home, and had to ride just the last 50 metres down a semi-main road...

...where I got loudly beeped by my first moton, just before I turned into my own driveway. Sigh.

But the bike's awesome :biggrin:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Maybe they were admiring your bike or it's someone who recognised you and was saying hello.

I find some people have an unnecessary tendency to beep at people they see on the road, even when those people don't see them.

Beeping the horn makes everybody else jump and think there's a problem.

Leggy said:
I've been lurking for a while, gathering information before I bought my first new bike to start commuting, so I thought I'd tell you all how it went. Test ride - check. Informative shop owner - check. Laying down the money for a nice hybrid - check. Ride it home - check. I could take the back streets down to a pleasant cycle path along a creek almost all the way home, and had to ride just the last 50 metres down a semi-main road...

...where I got loudly beeped by my first moton, just before I turned into my own driveway. Sigh.

But the bike's awesome :biggrin:

In France & Belgium it's quite common for drivers to beep just before overtaking to let you know they're there. I know they're being polite and helpful but it always scares the bejesus out of me!

OP
OP
L

Leggy

No, it was an offensively long and loud blast from a 4WD I didn't know. But I'll bear that in mind for the next time I hear a beep.

4WD? Well he was obviously beeping to apologise for being such an utter affront to all right thinking people, and probably wanted to signify his abject humiliation at being in the presence of a superior being.

Congrats on the bike, by the way.

OP
OP
L

Leggy

It's a Trek 7.0. Nothing like the flashest bike in the shop, but it feels so much better than anything I've been on in years - mind you, that may be because borrowed bikes are pretty well always the wrong height for me (as you might guess from my handle).

Anyway, it seems like a perfectly servicable beginner bike and I'm totally in love with it. Going downhill and along the flat is sort of like flying, don't you think?

Top Bottom