New Bike Friday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MisterMeg

I'm picking up my new Carrera Virtuoso racer from Halfords tomorrow afternoon. :biggrin:
Someone on here said something to the effect that the bike was good but that you couldn't always guarantee the quality of the build.

When I ordered it the chap in store said it would be checked over and if there were any problems to bring it back in.

Anybody know what I should be checking for? I'm sure any problems with the gears or if the chain keeps coming off will be obvious, and I will be sure to check that the brakes work before I set off.

Is there anything less obvious that I should look out for?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Any clunks from bottom bracket as you pedal.
Any free play in your headset (jam front brake on and see if you get any rock in front forks)

col

Legendary Member
When you get it,can you post a few pics,i like the sound of these too:smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
check that the quick release wheels are done up correctly. one way to do this is to ask the shop to demonstrate how they work, if your old bike didn't have qr wheels.

also check that the brakes have no feeling of slackness when you apply them.

i have a carrera virtuoso (although it shares virtually nothing with the one you have bought) and apparently the original cable outers were not great quality and the original tyres were not especially puncture proof (although not especially bad either). if the bike goes away for the winter, and especially if you ride it through the winter, get all the cabling changed at a bike shop (not halfords) in early spring. you should be able to do that for under £50 unless you specify an expensive set of cables. The ones that come with the bike should be fine until then.

col

Legendary Member
MisterMeg said:
I must get around to getting a digital camera :biggrin:.

In the meantime, this is the picture from Halford's website

Thanks for that,but iv seen it,it has one of those annoying click for larger image tabs,then its a smidgeon bigger and not very clear:smile:

Incidentally EF,i did that without realising it was the thing to do,after i had fitted my new tyre.xx( just call me moa deeb;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Elmer Fudd said:
Any free play in your headset (jam front brake on and see if you get any rock in front forks)

Just to be clear - Elmer means when you are off the bike, holding it, apply the front brake and rock a little, not jam on the front brake as you are riding along! That way, you'll just get a rock in the face!:biggrin:

Actually, you may find some rock, because the actual brake arms (the bits that hold the pads and apply them to the rim) may flex a little on their mountings. To be sure, look for rocking while holding the wheel still physically - then you are sure it's the headset, not the brake fittings....

Or so I was told by a bike mechanic anyway...

Odd creaks may also suggest something, somewhere, that needs tightening, and can take years to locate to the exact spot!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
mountings. To be sure, look for rocking while holding the wheel still physically - then you are sure it's the headset, not the brake fittings....
check that the brake fittings are tight. you can use an allen (hex) key to tighten the front one from the back of the fork, and the rear one from the back of its mounting point on the frame. hold the brake caliper tight (or put the brake on) to stop the caliper rotating as you tighten it.

which reminds me, if you don't already have them, get a good set of bondhus allen keys (with the ball bit at one end). endlessly useful for tightening/undoing various bits and pieces on the bike.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Arch said:
Just to be clear - Elmer means when you are off the bike, holding it, apply the front brake and rock a little, not jam on the front brake as you are riding along! That way, you'll just get a rock in the face!:B)
:biggrin: xx( :biggrin: :B) :ohmy: Ahem, yes Arch, I should have been more specific otherwise MisterMeg would have been asking to use the 'puter in his local A&E :laugh: :laugh: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Monkey Boy

New bike Friday.....what a great idea!! I'm gonna mention this in every post from now until next Tuesday.....I just picked up my Focus Cayo! Could not wait for the courier to try to redeliver so I picked her up myself.

Sooooooo excited!

Top Bottom