new bike, help needed with rear mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crumpetman

I have just received a new bike for my son for his Christmas present and upon unboxing it to set it up I cannot work out what is going on with the rear mech. It does not look like it is in the correct position but for the life of me I cannot see how to move it. Pictures attached so you can see what I mean. It is so low that it is almost on the ground. The wheels are 20 inch so I know it will be closer to the ground than on an adults bike.

Some advice please?

rear_mech.jpg

rear_mech_closeup.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's fine.

It's a long cage mech and with small wheels it will hang pretty low, there's no danger of grounding it though. Only downside is it will get dirty very quickly, so give him a few cleaning lessons.

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

It looks quite a bit lower than on the pictures on the web of the same bike. On the Islabike website picture shows the bit with SRAMx4 to be pretty much horizontal and the black part under that is angled back rather than being almost straight down.

I appreciate the advice, I just want to make sure the bike is 100% ok before I hide it away for Christmas and then find out something needs attention at the last minute.

albion

Guru
Sounds like they photo shopped it or used a larger bike.A shorter cage would raise it a bit but it is just a trait of standardised adult size components.

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

There is only one front chainwheel on the 20, 24 and 26 inch wheeled bikes and I think the photos show it in the middle of the gears at the back.

But now I have looked at the photos of the larger wheeled bikes I see that the rear mech on the 24 and 26 is pretty much the same as on my 20 inch bike. It just struck me as very low when I took it out of the box.

Top Bottom