New Bike Lock designs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys and Girls!

I am undertaking a design and research project for my University. I am looking into how a bike lock can be made more accessible, quicker and easier to use especially in colder environments. A little bit about me, my name is James and I study at Loughborough University in England, I cycle everyday and I love it! (tried so hard to not make that sound like a dating profile!) Any feedback would be gladly appreciated and if I could repay you for your feedback I would!

Do you use a bike lock? Is it necessary? (for quick trips)

Would you benefit from a quicker method of locking up a bike? Or is your current lock sufficient?

What type of lock do you use? D lock? Cable lock? Chain and padlock?
Coded lock or Key lock?

When locking up in the cold what is your biggest bug bear? Taking gloves off? Small key? Mechanism gets jammed?

Tell me your problems!

Thank you my fellow cyclist lovers!
James

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes I use a lock every time unless at the allotment or inside friend's houses.
I think I'm pretty quick at using it, what can take time is if there is a second bike on the stand already that makes it more difficult to lock mine up, and making sure I don't lock their bike in with mine.
D-Lock
In the cold - just that I'm cold, usually do it without taking off my gloves, mechanism still is fine several years on.

My problems? In short just the need to lock up my bike, and the weight of it, but if you always carry it then you just get used to it. Stands are more my bug bear when they don't offer enough support to the bike (especially those at supermarkets!)

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes.

Current locks perfectly adequate.

2 x Ds and a cable for the wheels.

Jammed or frozen mechanism, but regular lubing keeps it at bay.

The only improvement I want is the protection of a quality D lock for half the straight in a less cumberson package.

LocalLad

It amazes me that decent locks are still so fat and heavy. If you could get one thin and light, you'd be a rich man!

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I am undertaking a design and research project for my University. I am looking into how a bike lock can be made more accessible, quicker and easier to use especially in colder environments. A little bit about me, my name is James and I study at Loughborough University in England, I cycle everyday and I love it! (tried so hard to not make that sound like a dating profile!)
Great cyclist, would ride again A++++ (tried so hard not to make that sound like eBay feedback ;-)

Do you use a bike lock? Is it necessary? (for quick trips)
Yes, I consider it mandatory for all trips.

Would you benefit from a quicker method of locking up a bike? Or is your current lock sufficient? What type of lock do you use?
No, my D-lock + cable are quick to use. I also have tamper-resistant nuts on my wheels.

When locking up in the cold what is your biggest bug bear? Taking gloves off? Small key? Mechanism gets jammed?
Having to use keys, they're fiddly which makes them difficult to use with gloves. I suppose it's more taking the keys out of my pocket and putting them back in again.

Tell me your problems!
Well it all started when I was a wee lad on stablizers...oh, wait.
One other thing is that my Kryptonite D-lock mount doesn't fit on my frame. Anywhere, at any angle, which means I have to carry it in my pannier bag. This can be a lot of fun when the panniers are stuffed full of shopping. Better frame mounts would be very helpful - and those which I feel comfortable off-roading with.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, I use a bike lock. It's probably not necessary for quick trips but it's a long walk home so why risk it?

I'd love faster ways to lock up my bikes.

I use various locks depending on bike and scenario: D, cable, horseshoe, alarmed... usually H-shaped keys from preference.

My biggest bug bear is the time it takes to get the lock off the bike (possibly out of a bag), open, through the bike and parking stand and locked properly again. I can operate most locks without taking my gloves off, but sometimes I need to take my gloves off to find the key or open a bag. I have only once had a mechanism get jammed and a shot of GT85 bought from a nearby shop sorted that (and I think that lock is still in regular use).

Top Bottom