New bike- loose spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
So within 200 miles of my new Defy 1 (2014) being ridden the back wheel has developed several loose spokes and therefore the rear rim has become untrue (I think more due to tension on the other side rather than damage).

I have just dropped it at my LBS to fix as I'm not too bad at bike repairs but wheel building/ truing I don't yet have a clue.

Is this just something that can happen with brand new wheels? Have Giant built them poorly? I've not had it on the last two sets of wheels (one giant and one 501's) on my other bike. Is it worth a chase up e-mail to Rutland to have a bit of a moan to see if they'll slip me a £10 voucher to cover costs? or just suck it up of course which is what I'm doing at the moment.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wheels are often built without enough tension in the spokes, a good LBS will have seen it all before and bring them up to the proper tension. By all means have a moan to the supplier and if they're fair they may even cover the cost.

Danny B

At had a new Defy 1 (2015) last July and the same thin happened to me for both front and back wheels at different times. LBS sorted but came to the conclusion this was just poor quality control from factory or should supplier (which was LBS) check this as part of the bike build?

OP
OP
helston90

helston90

It should be covered in the first (6 week) service.
Ahh the risk of buying online- there's no such thing. I'm happy with my ability to check cable tensions/ headset tensions/ keep an eye out for bedding in issues which is mainly what the 6 week would be but the wheels are above me.
I did get 33% off a £1000 bike by buying online- maybe some of my money saved should have been stashed in order to pay the LBS for such unforeseen work.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It happens. I don't think many, if any, of the large bike manufacturers will build their own wheels but will most likely have a 3rd party supplier take care of that kind of thing.

My GT hybrid suffered from failed wheels at under 1800 miles due to Alex rims made of cheese. The spokes stayed perfectly tensioned right up to the point where the nipples started to rip through the rim. The replacement wheels were supplied by GT UK via the supplying retailer and these then started to unlace themselves within 50 miles! My patience was wearing thin at this point so I was a bit insistent that the problem was sorted properly this time. The shop assured me that their best wheel builder would slacken off all the spokes and tension the wheel from scratch, effectively giving me a hand built wheel. Within another 250miles the spokes started snapping and I almost gave up the will to live. After limping along for a month or so, replacing the failed spokes as they occurred I bit the bullet and ordered the bits to build my own wheels properly as I have always self-built since being a teenager. The home built wheels are still going strong over 10,000 miles later and haven't been touched once since being built (anyone on the Llandudno ride last weekend that saw me hopping and jumping with 4 loaded panniers will have seen what these wheels endure).

On the other hand, the stock wheels on my GT road bike have been fine and they have seen their fair share of rough treatment on steps and stuff :whistle:. It's a bit of pot luck but I wouldn't be surprised if you have continuous problems with the wheels that have given you trouble so soon. Better start looking for replacements :rolleyes:

OP
OP
helston90

helston90

I wouldn't be surprised if you have continuous problems with the wheels that have given you trouble so soon. Better start looking for replacements :rolleyes:
Don't let my OH hear you say that on a 4 week old bike :surrender: I have a big birthday coming up in July- maybe I'll treat myself to some then and hang the current ones up in the garage.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't let my OH hear you say that on a 4 week old bike :surrender: I have a big birthday coming up in July- maybe I'll treat myself to some then and hang the current ones up in the garage.
You could always flog em off on e-bay. :whistle:

Nearly new wheels, upgraded. blah blah.......................someone will buy them :cry:

Fubar

Guru
So within 200 miles of my new Defy 1 (2014) being ridden the back wheel has developed several loose spokes and therefore the rear rim has become untrue (I think more due to tension on the other side rather than damage).

I have just dropped it at my LBS to fix as I'm not too bad at bike repairs but wheel building/ truing I don't yet have a clue.

Is this just something that can happen with brand new wheels? Have Giant built them poorly? I've not had it on the last two sets of wheels (one giant and one 501's) on my other bike. Is it worth a chase up e-mail to Rutland to have a bit of a moan to see if they'll slip me a £10 voucher to cover costs? or just suck it up of course which is what I'm doing at the moment.

I had that happen on my commuter within a couple of weeks of collecting it - TBF Edinburgh Bike Co-op ordered a new wheel and replaced it for me as soon as it came in. One of those things, I didn't pursue it as I was just happy to have it fixed.

Top Bottom