New bike needed urgently - but what type??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marooncat

Following my bike "departing" the bike carrier on the motorway this morning whilst heading through to Pedal for Scotland I now need to get a replacement one sorted rather urgently..

I can use my BF BSO for a few days but it is to big for me (ie I can not stand up on it) for using to long or for "proper use".

I am hoping that I will be able to claim for it under my household insurance (which includes bikes)

My existing one is the last years model of this one

Pathfinder

I am not sure if I want to go for another hybrid like this one or a road bike, or something else. I tend to cycle on either roads or cycle paths which are decent quality surfaces.

I have been happy enough with this bike but there have been a few niggles. My model does not have the suspension seat post which is on the newer one and following advise on here I had locked the front forks so am not that bothered about front suspension either. I found the low cross bar (or what ever the technical term is) a bit of a pain as it was a nightmare to fit anything underneath it, even getting a waterbottle in was a tight fit.

I take a panier to work and need mudguards on whatever I get.

Budget wise... it really depends on what the insurance company will pay out, I have no experience of this and the claims department is not open today!! I can probably add a little bit to what I get (as long as BF does not know :eek:!!).

Any suggestions about what I could be looking at???

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I heard this tale of woe:cry: from Magnatom, [the battered and bruised] Bhoyjim and Goo_mason while I helped them to refresh themselves after the ride :biggrin: ... but .....

... every cloud ... silver lining ... now you can get something NEW B) !

From what you say you have been doing, I would guess you should be looking at either a flat- or drop- barred road bike/cross bike. The market for commuter bikes has thrown up some really good stuff, with flat-barred road bikes having much of the performance of a road bike but with the more upright, commuter-friendly position - and with weight more akin to a road bike than an MTB. :biggrin: This is a good thing. They are a bit more pricey, though ..... Any cycle2work scheme available ?

My tip would be not to restrict yourself solely to ladies' bikes. Have a look at gents' ones too, as there is more choice and a decent LBS should be able to fit you to something properly.

HTH

OP
OP
M

marooncat

I do have to admit that it did go through my mind that I now had an excuse to get a new bike once I got over the shock (still can not believe I asked "is it ok" - how did I think it was going to survive hitting the tarmac at great speed :biggrin:!!)

I am not going to be able to do anything till I speak to the insurance company tomorrow as a few people I have spoken to think they will offer me a "replacement" rather than cash but I will see what they come up with. However am enjoying having a look and drolling over websites at the moment.

I was looking at this one this morning, but it seems to be limited stock.
Carrera Subway Ltd

The one thing that I think will restrict me getting a mans bike is the frame size, I am 5ft4 and have really short legs. My boyfriends BSO will be the smallest mens frame size (I assume) and that is to high for me to use that safely. There are two LBS near me, one I have found is not interested unless you have a 3K road bike, the other I have only used for servicing so not sure what they might be like for new bikes. They do not seem to have much, if any, stock of new bikes so are not going to be ideal for trying ones out.

No BFW scheme and no hope of getting one set up (in time for this purchase anyhow) so it is going to be a cash purchase which is going to be a restriction. It does depend how much I can get from the insurance company.

OP
OP
M

marooncat

One thing I know nothing about is disc brakes (not that I know much about any other type). How easy are they to adjust etc??

I would put my Marathon Plus tyres on any new bike I got (which seem to have survived the incident), I know they are not the fastest but I have not had a visit from the p. fairy since I got them.

OP
OP
M

marooncat

Just a quick update, just spoken to my insurance company and I am covered fine :smile: just need to get them to agree the excess as my document says £25 and they claimed it was £100 (but the guy did say that they have had problems with bikes before)

It looks like their standard offer is Halfords, they send Halfords the spec of the bike and Halfords then come back and offer me what they deem is the equivalent. I asked why I could not either get an exact replacement from Edinburgh Bikes or a cash payment, and the guy said they might consider getting one from Edinburgh bikes.

I am about to email him the bit of my policy which has the excess on it and am going to send him the links to the Edinburgh Bike option now.

OP
OP
M

marooncat

Just heard back and they are willing to replace it with one from Edinburgh bikes, I asked if I could upgrade it with me paying the extra and they have confirmed the following

The policy is based on 'like for like' replacement.
What this really means is that if you 'upgrade' then we will only pay the
costs for the 'like for like' replacement, in effect, the £318.97
If you choose to upgrade, then you pay for the difference in the costs.

The figure of £318.97 comes from the bike at £299.99, panier rack (£14.67) and clipless pedals (£29.31) minus my £25 excess.

I can probably stretch to paying another £150 on top of the cost at the moment if it is going to get me a better bike.

I have had a quick look at the other bikes on the Edinburgh bikes website but not really sure what might or might not be an option, there seem to be a few “brand names” which come into the equation in the increased price frame. I need one that is in a small frame, existing one will be 16”. One thing that I did not like about my old bike was the front suspension, I had it locked off and it obviously added weight (according to the website the new model is about 15.5kg). Getting one with 26” wheels has the advantage that I can put my marathon plus tyres on them (which seem to have survived, both were still hard last night) as they have only done about 800 miles but I can get another set if I go for bigger wheels. I am forcing myself not to think about colour…

Any one any suggestions, I will have a proper look at lunchtime myself.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Well, it sounds as if things are moving pretty quickly (as quickly as your bike along the M8 :laugh: !), which is great news.

Might be worth getting Halfords to give their option on what a replacement might be. I know that the Carrera Subway has been well reviewed and well reported on CC.

Happy drooling :biggrin: and looking forward to seeing both you and the new bike on the next CC Scotland Social ride .... when magnatom gets it organised :smile:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Have a look at this from Halfords.
Within budget and a bit left over for guards, rack, lights etc ....

Halfords do not get a 'good press' generally .... but their Carrera Subway bikes have been well received - it's their service quality which can be ..... questionable :smile:

I reckon the Carrera is a better looking bike than the others but that's me ... :tongue:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
marooncat said:
Have convinced BF we are going out for a drive tonight - to Edinburgh Bikes to look at the ones they have (open till 7pm) and then via Halfords to have a look at their ones....
What, go and look at bikes, dear ??? :smile: :tongue: :biggrin:

Happy hunting :smile:

OP
OP
M

marooncat

It will be a romantic trip.. honest. I think the offer of me buying him dinner somewhere afterwards was the selling point - anyone know of any good burger vans open in the evening???

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I ken a few nice restaurants near Brunsfield, but by now it will be too late. So have you tried riding a few bikes? It is no good just looking at them you have to ride them before buying...

Top Bottom