New Bike....No clue what it is!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not worried about the badge. I'm just not a fan of riding a wheeled anvil with a hinge in the middle and brakes made from melted down squash balls.

OP
OP
Zakk69

Zakk69

Hey guys thanks for the replies! My GF got it for free. I didn't realize the forks are on backwards, just got it yesterday. I will fix it and ride it to the store now and then. I had a 150 cc scooter that I crashed on and had my collarbone broken in 4 places about 3 months ago so needless to say no more scooter riding! As for the peoe who replied that they wouldn't give nothing for it, well, be glad I'm not asking for anything then! Actually, $1000 for you haters, and $5 for you good peoe who actually replied to help me!!! Lol! No, thanks to you all!!!
Zakk

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's not about being a badge snob Zakk. The plain truth is that this type of bike is manufactured in the far east from the cheapest materials and components available, with the sole aim of looking a bit like the real thing and being sold at a price that will temp people that don't know better.
Here in the UK we have an outdoor and sport retail chain called Decathlon. They sell their own range of bikes and these are well known as being decent bikes that are well made and spec'd for the money without carrying the kudos that some people place on the 'premium brands'. A badge snob would ridicule a Decathlon bike in preference for their over priced Specialized bike.

Ride it, enjoy it, don't get too attached to it :okay:

S.Giles

It looks about 100x better than the 'Huffy' I used to ride when I lived in Santa Barbara, CA!

In my (ever so humble) opinion, with good maintenance and correct adjustment a great deal of enjoyment can be derived from any bike. The snobs and TdF wannabes need their exclusivity, but the rest of us can ride anything and have a laugh doing so!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It looks about 100x better than the 'Huffy' I used to ride when I lived in Santa Barbara, CA!

In my (ever so humble) opinion, with good maintenance and correct adjustment a great deal of enjoyment can be derived from any bike. The snobs and TdF wannabes need their exclusivity, but the rest of us can ride anything and have a laugh doing so!
This is true.:okay: Horrible as my Apollo was, I still had some good times on it and it managed to do everything I asked of it (except when the brakes fell apart and the forks went all wobbly;) - not on the same ride BTW)

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Mine has a (shall we say) kink in the chainset, which I think needs replacing. But if I can manage to afford something better I'd rather spend my money on that.

It's actually a bike my son bought & which languished in the garage when he went to uni. My daughter bought something similar at the same time which I'm trying to fix. I might just use it for spares tho'.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I would also check that the seat post has not been extended out beyond its maximum safe limit. It looks like it has recently been extended by a long way

broady

Veteran
Use it till you get something better. Then get yourself a basic bike tool kit and strip the bike down, clean it all up and grease everything. Put new inner and outer cables on it and see how you get on.
You will learn loads and even where you make a mistake you will learn from it and be able to mantain future bikes yourself.

Just make sure everything is tight and check the seat tube post

It's not about being a badge snob Zakk. The plain truth is that this type of bike is manufactured in the far east from the cheapest materials and components available, with the sole aim of looking a bit like the real thing and being sold at a price that will temp people that don't know better.
Here in the UK we have an outdoor and sport retail chain called Decathlon. They sell their own range of bikes and these are well known as being decent bikes that are well made and spec'd for the money without carrying the kudos that some people place on the 'premium brands'. A badge snob would ridicule a Decathlon bike in preference for their over priced Specialized bike.

Ride it, enjoy it, don't get too attached to it :okay:
I agree, I ride a Viking Torino (2007/8) it however is nothing like the original spec, and at purchase cost £300, however to replace it with a bike of the same level of components you are looking in the £800-1000 mark, and I compete with people riding bikes costing £3000 upwards (well on strava anyway)

@Zakk69 as others have said, once you sort the folks out, just ride it have fun, I don't know much about M.T.B. tech. but it seems to a least a step up from microshift gears, which I understand are about as basic as you can get.

Top Bottom