New bike or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I am shortly coming into some money. Once all my debts are paid off I will have enough left over to get a decent bike. I had it all worked out. Hybrid, rigid, disc brakes front and back etc. It is my plan to offload all my bikes and just settle to the one as we are moving to a smaller house soon and secure storage will be a real problem. However, thinking about it I am wondering if it is the best thing to get an expensive new bike. At present I have a older, steel framed Ridgeback hybrid, with basic 18 speed SIS gearing. I go onto state pension in a few months and things are going to get really tight financially. I have been looking at the price of parts. For the Ridgeback bits are half a crown a dozen. I could replace the whole drive train for £30 shopping around online, whilst a decent chain for a modern bike is £30 or more plus another £30+ for a decent cassette. So, although the idea of a nice new modern bike is appealing I am seriously wondering if it would make more financial sense to keep the Ridgeback, with maybe a few upgrades. I hate money, it causes such conundrums, and whatever I do will probably be wrong.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would get 1 decent new bike as the parts will all be newer and will need less replacing so although it might be more of a one off payment you will save in the long run.
It also depends on what sort of bike you get , i picked up a chain for around a tenner + a cassette for less than £20 , once you get the tools and learn to do jobs yourself you can save a lot of money .
At the end of the day do you use the bike enough to justify it? i got a new bike last year but i know full well it will be the last one for a long time so i got one while i could.

Top Bottom