New bike or upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonthepost

I currently ride a 2013 giant defy 5 road bike(first roadie bought through C2W scheme) now having had this bike from new I think it's either time for a new bike or to upgrade it. As I'm fitter and think I might've just 'outgrown' it. I would get another through the C2W scheme as its a doable option for me. The current C2W offers up to £1000. Is it worth it or should I upgrade the wheels, bar, group set etc as and when funds allow on the defy?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
On our cycle to work scheme, run by evans cycles we are now allowed to buy frames, components and wheels..........in line with a rule change from hmrc

On our cycle to work scheme, run by evans cycles we are now allowed to buy frames, components and wheels..........in line with a rule change from hmrc

And A.N. Other-Poster has verified that Evans will do same on the non-Evans-specific Cyclescheme scheme, which behaviour Cyclescheme officially does not support.

Mind you I'd get a nice carbon jobby rather than upgrades.

BB

13 rider

Guru
If you still have the giant wheel set on tyres on I upgraded my wheel set on my Defy to a light weight set and it made the bike feel much quicker but that might be me but it certainly feels better to ride cheapest upgrade is to change the giant tyres for something like continental gps

vickster

Legendary Member
Try a 200km audax to see if you've really outgrown the bike or the rides you do. You may already be an audaxer extraordinaire, if so kudos and get yourself a top end titanium to celebrate (with cash on top of c2w)

OP
OP
simonthepost

simonthepost

I've upgraded the tyres to continental 4season and that made a difference initially, bar tape too for comfort as the original tape was a bit thin, I've put a b17 seat on as well. The tektro brakes are ok-ish. Changed the rear sprocket for an 11-32 as its a bit hilly where I am.

Top Bottom