New bike putting me in agony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Different bars, different lever positions, different angles, layback posts, non-layback posts, 42cm bars, 44cm bars, compact bars, non-compact bars. Sorry to say, but after reading all this, to be honest I'm not suprised that the 'new bike is putting you in agony' as it doesn't sound like there is any consistency in any of your set-ups.

Bite the bullet - take it to an expert and go back to square one.

arch684

Veteran
I always start of in this position.I can then turn the bars up or down,flip the stem or use a longer or shorter stem
DSCF2258.JPG

bianchi1

Guru
Thats when i first got the boardman i changed those to the same as the foil before doing group rides so i could get low in the drops. the venge had a compact bar so i could only ride in the hoods i couldnt get into the drops without the non compact bar

One thing is though the bars are 42cm where as i usually use a 44 would that make much of a difference? As they do feel very compact

That might do your shoulders a bit, but not your wrists.

If you discount riding in the drops for a moment and concentrate on the hoods. Have a look at all the photos of your old bikes and you will notice the bar to shifter hood is flat. But your new ones make a v shape. That's got nothing to go with rotating the bar but you have the shifters on the wrong part of the bar. EDIT...Wrong part of the bar for you.

Mine sit quite high but I've ridden the same style for as long as I can remember, and importantly it is replicated on all my bikes and will be the same on any new bikes I get.

image.jpg

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
The rough surface on the bars to accommodate the shifters is where I had the hoods before (photographed above) so they were not on the wrong part of the bar from what I can work out. however ive now moved them to a smooth part of the bar and used grip paste instead to get a flat section like you have all suggested, the reach is a lot further now which is good, I'll try this for a few miles tommorrow and see how I get on :smile: I also put the stem back up (not flipped though) to start from scratch and ill adjust accordingly
image.jpg

bianchi1

Guru
The rough surface on the bars to accommodate the shifters is where I had the hoods before (photographed above) so they were not on the wrong part of the bar from what I can work out. however ive now moved them to a smooth part of the bar and used grip paste instead to get a flat section like you have all suggested, the reach is a lot further now which is good, I'll try this for a few miles tommorrow and see how I get on :smile: I also put the stem back up (not flipped though) to start from scratch and ill adjust accordingly
View attachment 79481

Looks good to me.

Best of luck on your ride.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
And the set up on your boardman is different as well

View attachment 79472

See how the ends of the bars point (slightly) downwards while on your Scott they are pointing up.

The shifters are also positioned up the bar on the boardman making for a flatter base, as opposed the the 'v' shape on the Scott.
Bloody hell, that's comfortable? :wacko:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Assuming your photo was level you look way to far forward , red line is where your knee cap should be looking for as a starting point as far as i can work out from your photo .
Untitled.png

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I said the frame was too small in an earlier post and too far forward

grimpeur

Veteran
Agree with all other comments that the frame is too small. Huge amount of toe overlap at the front wheel is a big enough clue.
I am less than 1" taller than you and even the 56 Foil would be a touch on the small side for me. The length of seatpost showing on your other bikes indicates they were too small for you as well.

Top Bottom